Quail

Yes I have...depends on what quail species you are talking about. I have only raised bobwhites in the past and now starting my Cortunix breeding project. So far all my gamebird expirences have been good and they are by far my favorite birds. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
big_smile.png

Ditto to sam:) I love my quail. I have all kinds of poultry and the quails are one of my fav!! The other day we got our first bob white and I dropped everything (mainly the wire gate I was holding for my hubby and ran over to see. LOL C

This is all good. My husband is talking about quail, and if he's encouraging me to incubate who am I to argue?

What is the hatch rate? Or would you suggest a live day old shipment?

We recently hatched 8 cortunix quail. They are really adorable and make the coolest sounds. They are still in the brooder in our bedroom.
When can they be sexed? I was wanting to seperate them into the proper ratio when I know for certain what I have. They are three weeks old.

MBLI - I prefer hatching egg to live shipments on quail. The baby quail are very fragile and the eggs ship great on wild species. I highly recommend Lake Cumberland game farm. We had great hatches from their eggs. Ordered 50, received 55 and hatched 53 chicks. Good luck on your quail venture. They are a lot of fun and great to raise.

Jody

I want to hatch some quail what kind of brooder do I need? & I found an incubator on ebay for abot 100$ with a turner will this get me going?

Yes and No...all just depends on the quality of the incubator and if the turner has QUAIL EGG RACKS. I have 2 incubators...1 used for incubating the other I use for hatching they are....

Little Giant Forced Air(hatcher)

Hova-bator turbo fan/egg turner(incubator)

Also for quail it is best to start them on hard bottomed brooder in my opinion. I keep mine in a fish tank with all the necesitys( feeder, waterer, heat light) for the first couple days then move them to shavings. But I do put paper towels down on the glass bottom of the brooder.
Keep the questions coming all~
smile.png

Growing up, I used to raise all kinds of poultry and gamebirds. I had a couple dozen bobwhite quail. I loved the "bobwhite" sound they made. And it was really cool how they all gathered up in a circle to sleep at night. I prefer chickens and ducks, because they are more friendly and have more distinct personalities, but quail certainly are a lot of fun to own. I'll never forget one time I went away for the weekend and came home to discover that someone hadn't shut the cage door tightly after feeding the quail. They had all escaped, except one litte guy hiding in the corner. I was so distraught, but then I realized that I could try using that one bird to call back the others. I set up a make-shift collection cage and sure enough, the next morning, all of my birds were in the cage.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom