quails dying off

TheRealTimShady

Crowing
12 Years
May 23, 2011
Apollo, PA
OK, so i posted a few days ago that i lost a quail, thinking that the younger one i put in there had killed her. she has since been separated and i just had another one die last night..no signs of attack from the other 2 in the coop, they get fresh water every other day, they are on Purina GBS and have been completely fine.

only signs i have an elongated neck and it looks like they are craping out this red...bulge from their butts, very odd looking, like their innards are popping out the rear end, not sure if this is normal in quails after they die or not.

the quail that was introduced in the first place to them was their own offspring, hatched in a new homemade bator and brooded in a brand new 55gal tote. anyone have any idea's on cause of death...it hasn't been overly hot here recently with the hurricane that came thru(we didn't get any of it really). i havn't noticed any signs of disease as well. only thing i can think of is maybe...dirty coop, i keep the inside cleaned out, and put in fresh bedding once a week, but the bottom of the open air has 1/4'' cloth that gets caked up with bedding and crap(it will be cut out on monday/tuesday and replaced with 1/2"). I will also be adding in 5 more 6 week olds with the 2 older ones now after the base is swapped out.

Not sure about the elongated neck bit, but the innards coming out sounds like a prolapsed cloaca, which I knowis fatal in chickens, so presumably in quail as well. Either that or maybe she was egg bound? But I'm sure if she was, you may have been able to see that...Maybe someone else on here has some ideas? Really sorry to hear that you lost one of your little birds
sad.png
Hope the others will be okay.

Quote:
I think prolapsed cloaca normally happens after an egg is laid. Not sure...I'll look it up and get back to you
big_smile.png

Yes, I found an article that was talking about prolapse in hens and it said that other hens will tend to peck at the prolapsed vent and can actually pull the oviduct and intestines out causing the hen to die of haemorrhaging and shock. It can also lead to infections...But it says it can be corrected if caught in time...

Not really sure whats going on with your birds. Really need some advice from someone with more quail experience. Sorry I couldn't help you anymore. Really hope it doesn't happen with any of your other birds, though
hmm.png

well...i dunno if it keeps up i will probably clean out stock and order some eggs

the woman i got these from originally didn't have the greatest conditions for them(she probably had about 150 in a 6x6x4) they all had mites almost, got them cleaned up, anyway, i got hatchlings from them...so if it shows up in them...oh well, money lost---restart button

Strange about the odd looking thing near the vent. I found this on one of my hens before I came into work tonight.... One other thing I noticed.... Someone had just taken a MASSIVE dump in the sand box. I didn't know if maybe that was normal after passing a large egg.
Or maybe it was the poo that had prolapsed something. I was on my way to work and unable to take the time to investigate. Lets hope she is still kickin when I get off in the morning. Any opinions would be appreciated. Steve.

Quote:
I know that laying unnusually large eggs can causea hen to suffer a prolapse...it may be the same for unnusually large poo as well, but I'm not sure. If it is prolapse you may want to separate her from any other birds just in case they start pecking at it as they can kill her that way. It can heal on its own, but there are some 'treatments' that can be used...I think there's a type of cream and I've heard some people mention using honey...

Not sure how effective those would be. If it doesn't get better, you may want to search what some people advise or seek veterinary advice. I've never tried to treat prolapse before so I can't say what would be best. Maybe if you post a separate thread, some other people will be able to offer more information.

Hope this was of some help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom