1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

quails eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by louisebailes, Aug 20, 2011.

1. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    hello, i am very new to quails, i adore them i can see them from my kitchen and i find myself just stopping washing the pots and watching them, however they just lay there eggs all over. is this common practise for them, and what can i do?? thanks x[​IMG]

2. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:From what I've read about quail, this seems to be the normal, especially if you keep Japanese/Coturnix quail. I've heard some people saying that some other breeds (I think it was Bobwhite?) make a nest and lay them in there, but I've not had any experience myself with those breeds. Certainly the quail at my college don't seem to care about where they lay them, apart from one which seems to always choose the same spot under an upturned plastic dog bed. Some people who keep their birds on wire having a slightly sloping floor so that the eggs either collect at the front of the cage, or roll into a specially placed tray, but I have not used this before (the college quail are kept at the bottom of an aviary, so it's just a case of going in there and rooting around looking for them [​IMG])

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If they have no special area to lay their eggs, they will just drop them wherever, but any bird will do so if they don't have a 'nest'. My coturnix often lay their eggs in their dusting pans but most often they lay their eggs in the enclosed portion of their pen....probably because they feel 'safe' in there. [​IMG]

Long story short....if you give them a quiet area to lay their eggs, they will usually lay there, but if they have no choice except to lay eggs on the wire on this side of the pen instead of the other they'll just drop them wherever.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Just Be Glad They're Not Sticky.... Otherwise You'd Be Peelin 'em Off The Walls And Ceiling Of Your Pen [​IMG]

5. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    Coturnix are like teenagers...just lay stuff all over and don't care. I've found eggs all over and they will not use nest boxes they will not attempt to lay in the same place twice and they just don't care.

This is a bird that has been bred for the qualities it has for being docile, fast growing and heavy egg production so any natural instinct to take care of eggs has been bred out of them.

This is by far the best breed of quail ever. They aren't flighty and you can handle them and they grow fast enough to keep a good production line going for eating or supply of pickled eggs!!

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Quail kept in battery brooders will lay their eggs just anywhere. However, I have found that females provided with a comfortable sand box (a large shoe box filled with sand, dirt, or perlite works fine) will usually lay in the box. My girl who has a large natural area with loose soil and plants and straw digs herself a nest every day and deposits her egg in it.

I love my quail too, and I'm finding that they are more and more fun to observe the more natural a setting I can provide for them.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    thanks guys its all good to know. mine are japanese. they have a massive run, it has a sunlounger in ( hubby sitd in there lol ), they also have an indoor area with various shelves and ramps. however they live with chickens aswell and and i do wonder if this has something to do with feeling safe?? i am very interested in these coturnix though as everyone on here is raving about them?

9. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Coturnix is another name for the Japanese quail, I believe [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I have the Bob's & the coturnix. If it was me I'd raise the coturnix they are really neat birds make pretty sounds & lay eggs like clockwork. My Bob's are wilder than a March hair. For eating purposes I like dove number 1 then coturnix & then the Bob's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by