Quails in my balcony garden

YASIN

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 26, 2010
Chittagong , Bangladesh
I have a pot garden in my medium sized balcony . I just grow some random stuff in it and i plant anything i can . Whatever can grow well just grows. Some have even given fruits (like tomato, cucumber, beans, mustard etc) but most just die off become fruiting, may be because i live in a desert country (in Qatar , in the middle-east).
I am planning to buy or hatch some quails . I want leave them freely in my garden (either all the time or only when i'm there) . So what kinds of plants can plant which will be suitable for quails ? also which plants do quails love most (to eat or just play with or take shade) .

i dont want to plant something very exotic as they wont be available here . just some simple ordinary plants that can be grown in a small space and little time and effort

. Is there another arrangement that would keep them from flying away and/or something being able to attack them? such as a large bird or something that could get up to your balcony. If they get a chance to fly away they will and likely wont come back.
About the plants, click here for a link to another post where someone has stated all the safe plants for quail:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/612081/plants-safe-for-button-quail

Last edited:
No nothing is likely to attack them or eat them (my pigeons might peck at them but i can take care of it) ...there arent any predatory birds here and cats dont crawl up or down to my balcony .
thanks but i dint want a full list of all the safe plants (i already read dat) ...i want a small list of common plants that quails , esp coturnix love to eat or be around .
but anyway thanks ...and i dont know if i can start raising them here right now as i will be going to some other country for higher studies

but i can use the information later

Last edited:
I honestly wouldnt keep them unpenned.. they're flighted birds. If one small thing spooks them, they'll be gone forever.

You can clip their wings but I am not sure if that would prevent them from being able to atleast catch some air and jump over, say, a fence.
Every quail is different so some will Ike a plant better than others. I would say tender leafed plants are what they would usually go for, such as grass, clover, sprouts, etc.

Back
Top Bottom