quails in winter-large numbers

Quote:
-COTURNIX REQUIRE 12-14HRS OF CONTINUOUS LIGHT A DAY FOR FERTILE EGG PRODUCTION
-FERTILITY DOES NOT DECREASE WITH AGE, THO LAYING RATES MAY
-AT MINUS 15 THE EGGS WILL FREEZE QUICKLY--- YOU'D NEED TO ADD A HEAT SOURCE AND A CONTAINMENT SYSTEM TO BLOCK WIND/ DRAFTS AND RETAIN THE HEAT YOUR PROVIDING
-HENS CAN PRODUCE 365 DAYS/YR WITH THE ADDED LIGHT, BUT IT IS QUITE HARD ON THEIR HEALTH AND NOT RECOMMENDED--- USE A ROTATION AND A LARGER NUMBER OF BIRDS TO ACHEIVE THE DESIRED AMOUNT OF EGGS AND ROTATE THE PRODUCER THROUGH PERIODS OF ARTIFICIAL LIGHT--- THIS ALLOWS REST PERIODS FOR YOUR GIRLS AND THEY WILL LAST LONGER.

RULE #1--- DONT TRUST THE IDIOT AT THE FEED STORE
RULE#2--- CHEFS ARE FICKLE....

ALSO QUAIL DO NOT "RANGE" MORE THAN ONCE

more then a few folks raise coturnix up nawth
smile.png
check with sterling hatcheries they are in alaska it is kina funny we never see that white stuff you all call snow
smile.png
it is almost subtropical here at the south end of the Chesapeake bay our winters start about halfway through feb then it get s warm in march
smile.png

Let's be realistic here.

Coturnix quail in cold climat needs controlled environment and lighting to sustain egg production, If you have heated barn or garage that may work, then you have heating cost. You need to keep temp around 50 at night higher during the day in order for them to lay.

Coturnix iare not a "migratory" birds in US since they can not survive in the wild on American Continent.

JMR is right, they "free range omly once" but that does not make them "migratory" birds.

Quote:
-COTURNIX REQUIRE 12-14HRS OF CONTINUOUS LIGHT A DAY FOR FERTILE EGG PRODUCTION
-FERTILITY DOES NOT DECREASE WITH AGE, THO LAYING RATES MAY
-AT MINUS 15 THE EGGS WILL FREEZE QUICKLY--- YOU'D NEED TO ADD A HEAT SOURCE AND A CONTAINMENT SYSTEM TO BLOCK WIND/ DRAFTS AND RETAIN THE HEAT YOUR PROVIDING
-HENS CAN PRODUCE 365 DAYS/YR WITH THE ADDED LIGHT, BUT IT IS QUITE HARD ON THEIR HEALTH AND NOT RECOMMENDED--- USE A ROTATION AND A LARGER NUMBER OF BIRDS TO ACHEIVE THE DESIRED AMOUNT OF EGGS AND ROTATE THE PRODUCER THROUGH PERIODS OF ARTIFICIAL LIGHT--- THIS ALLOWS REST PERIODS FOR YOUR GIRLS AND THEY WILL LAST LONGER.

RULE #1--- DONT TRUST THE IDIOT AT THE FEED STORE
RULE#2--- CHEFS ARE FICKLE....

ALSO QUAIL DO NOT "RANGE" MORE THAN ONCE

Rule #1 is the most important rule of all! That and FLAMMABLE, and INFLAMMABLE...mean the exact same thing!

Oh yes...Quail of any species are not free rangers...I'm going for less than once
smile.png

SO, I am confused. I have my quail outside tonight and it will be down to 29 degrees F. I am in N Central Fl. I have them in a hutch like cage wire bottom (full of straw) and have them covered tonight with a tarp. I have about 10 in one cage and 10 in the other. I brought my separate birds in (ones with problems) mostly 2 to a cage. Should I have brought them all in? I am not worried about egg production as much as just survival. Thanks.

Quote:
THEY'LL BE FINE. WE REALLY DONT GET COLD ENOUGH TO HARM THEM LIKE IT DOES IN YANKEE COUNTRY
smile.png

NOW WE GET ANOTHER 2 WKS REALLY COLD SPELL LIKE LAST WINTER YOU MAY WANT TO THROW A TARP OVER THEM AT NIGHT, BUT MAINLY OUR DAYTIME TEMPS GET HIGH ENOUGH FOR THEM TO BE OK.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU JJMR794!!!!
big_smile.png
I was really hoping you were watching cause you are the closest to me and seem to know quite a bit. We are good with the hens but the quail thing is a WHOLE NEW venture for me. I have been searching old posts and stickies but needed the more definitive answer.

I did put a bit more straw in tonight and covered them with tarps to keep out drafts.

Thanks again

Heather n Doug
big_smile.png

I have some in my incubator now that I am interested in selling would you be interested? I am south Caledon Ontario, where are you?

if you're in the UK (severn bridge?) you can buy a great organic food with the correct nutrients from HiPeak, it's called organic poulet mix .... my girls are doing great on it, it's a well balanced feed.

Back
Top Bottom