Quails vs. Chickens

Clement Quails

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
I have hatched Chinese Blue Breasted quails and Texas A&M quails now I'm trying to hatch Silkie and Delaware eggs my question is, is it any harder to hatch chicken eggs, I've done research but I'd like input from someone who's hatched quail and chickens before any input or tips would be greatly appreciated ...Thanks

I know chickens are 21 days but my silkie eggs are due to hatch today but I was worried because they had a rough ride through the post office most of them were cracked so if I don't do well with the silkies I don't want to mess up with my delaware, rhode island red, and barred rock eggs I will be getting I have the temp set at 101 and I have water where it needs to be and I'm turning them 3 times a day like the quails but I didn't know if it was harder to hatch because sometimes I loose a couple quail and I'm hoping I don't loose any chicks and have a decent hate rate
smile.png

i've hatched both.. chickens take longer to actually hatch than quail do.. so you won't see chickens "popcorning" out like baby quail.. from pip to zip seems to take longer

other than that both are pretty much the same.. just quail can't take as much of a chill as chickens can.. mainly because the chicken eggs are larger and so they hang on to the heat longer

Quote:
Yup, it seemed like I would look in, and all the quail eggs were whole, then id look again and there would be baby quail and broken eggs all over. I like that term "popcorning". That's exactly what its like!

I have 2 bantam chicken eggs hatching now, and its day 19. The eggs are small and under a huge hen, so I'm assuming that's why they are hatching early....but it taked those little chicks (chickens) a long time to hatch. The full sized eggs haven't even started chiirping from inside the egg yet.

Back
Top Bottom