Quails wing fell off after injury from couple weeks ago…

WhiteWilley

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 22, 2016
About two weeks ago, I made a big mistake, and I’m turned the cage over so she would have enough room to roam because the cage I had was like for a regular bird. I was really just trying to improve her life because it got cold and she wasn’t going outside all the time. I had put cardboard up around the cage and probably should’ve put a second layer because I’m pretty sure she got her wings stuck in the cage. I don’t know how it happened. I’m just assuming I woke up the next morning and there was a little bit of blood she wasn’t making no noise and she didn’t want me really looking around either on her body so I just let her be and just kept checking on her. The blood quit, and that was it and she was fine. I wouldn’t even let her take a bath until yesterday, because I just was scared that it might open wherever the wound was. I’ve noticed that she’s been jumping and flapping her wing around a little bit. I didn’t think anything of it. I just went in to check on her and there’s her wing laying in her cage with her no blood I can see where the bone broke like off on the wing and there’s a big scab around it… I did not hear a peep out of her and I have been in and around this room all day long. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain and there’s no blood so what do I do? Do I just let her be or what can I do to help her . Did she heal that fast or what?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 11
I understand that you were trying to help her. I can ONLY tell you how I’d handle it, if it happened to me. It looked like a clean break. Treat the open wound. Make sure it’s clean and keep it coated with non-pain relief antibiotic (ex: regular neosporin) to prevent infection. Keep her warm. Move her to a safe box or even a plastic bin, where she won’t be able to hurt herself further. When I hospital a single king or bobwhite, I use a large cardboard box, tape the sides up, and cover the top with tulle netting. I pull it through each of the corners and tape it down. I line the bottom with piddle pads, place food and water. It’ll take her a little getting used to functioning without a wing, but she’ll do fine. Just allow her to heal before you place her back with the others. Since it happened a few weeks ago, the wing likely easily separated because that part has died. Good wishes 😊.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom