Quaker Style coop design plans

It's a curiosity that the roof does not extend 12" or so in almost every direction. Yes, its frugal on materials, but I'd argue that frugality is not a benefit long term. The roof is the only thing protecting the whole of the structure underneath, which is already resource intensive. Seems an odd place to skimp

The pictures in this thread are examples of the look I'm going for, not the specific design. I'm trying to find a template I can purchase to build it

1611928296822.png
Mostly, its the (typically off center) roof design and slight overhang on the nesting box side, with its distinctive support. At least, as the term is now used. Its architecturally interesting (not that the chickens give a damn), but as I've made clear above, I have real issues with its practicality as a system. Allegedly, it draws inspiration from old barns - but old barns didn't generally have a shorter, hinged roof building butted up along side. and its that long horizontal opening that can't be weatherproofed which is one of my primary objections to these, "cute" though they be.

That said, if you have a small flock and are in a nice neighborhood, they are more attractive than anything I build for my birds, and may satisfy the HOA rules.

We do not have this style raised coop. But we do have a top opening nest box. It is very heavy. We resolved the weight with gas pistons.

You could alter the plans and have a front egg access door. Either sliding opening or hinged down. The red line shows rough location. With a little overhang (Blue line) the opening could be protected. That also allows little ones to see in the nest box better.

Attachments

• 1611929145277.png
    1611929145277.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
I have one and will definitely echo what @aart said about the nesting boxes- especially when I collect eggs when it's rainy, water will go through at the hinge line. Also make sure you have ample ventilation, which these plans don't allow for much. On mine, the windows are at roost level, so now that it's winter, I have them closed and needed to add ventilation. I bought my coop and did not build it, so didn't really have a say in the matter.
I would also recommend utilizing the raised design to make extra run space, which has been great because it's warm and cozy under the coop, and also less windy so my girls use it all the time. It also never gets wet and is a great dust bathing area.

I use a "front" opening nest box with a decent overhang. Trimmed the edge of the door with flashing so even a strong wind-blown FL storm can't force water in, keeping the boxes nice and dry. @3KillerBs has a fantastic little (moveable) coop design with a monitor roof - great for hot humid climates - that they recently updated, including a change to a front open external nesting box.

That said, my nesting box is higher up, so I don't need to bend down to inspect the contents, its floor is about 3' 6" +/- in the air, maybe higher. The design above is not amenable to such accommodation, and simply raising the nesting box (by way of a window delete/reduction) only creates new problems with your roost height and ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom