Quality Foundation Stock Multiple Breeds

janchilds

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2011
Virginia
I am looking to hatch out eggs. I would prefer to work with just one breeder but it seems like those who offer the largest breed selection are mass producing them and quality of the birds may be questionable. Any advice?

Breeds I am interested in include... Heritage RIR, Ameraucana (preferably blue), BCM, Ancona, and Light Sussex. I know it is a huge variety, maybe that's my problem. I guess I could hatch in two batches. I'm just concerned about timing if I buy from multiple breeders for one hatch. Again any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Janet

I don't think you are going to get quality eggs for that many different breeds from the same person. The hatcheries are in the business of mass producing chicks for the general backyard flock, not producing chicks of show quality, and their prices reflect that. I'm convinced the only way to get quality chicks is from individual breeders and you need to confirm they are breeding for the qualities you want.

I don't know what your ultimate goals are, but have you considered two incubators? Use one as an incubator and the other as a hatcher. Plan on getting your eggs about a week apart so you can move them to the hatcher at lockdown and clean the hatcher between hatches. That will spread your brooding out but if you are planning on keeping that many different breeds pure and breed for quality, you are going to be doing a major construction campaign anyway. But then, I don't know your goals.

Another possible option is to still have two incubators but try to get all the eggs at one time. You can hold them for a few days after you receive them before you start them. If your luck is like mine, some will still arrive too late, but with an incubator in reserve, so what?

Another thing is that not all breeds of chickens start and finish laying at the same times. Still some lay longer than others.
Best to get them and hatch as you go, or buy started birds.

Back
Top Bottom