Quality of birds from Sand Hill Perseveration?

I kind of suspect they were first created, and then recreated when snowies (MSA or Calls) where crossed to a wild type breed with the blue gene. I'm concerned about not changing the size too much, and since I happened upon some Aztecs anyway.

Did you notice your info about Overbergs was either quite old or from the UK? Neither bodes well for finding a healthy population in the US now.

I don't take on new projects lightly, as they are a lot of work and a long term commitment. I hope to reinvigorate and reinvent all at once, but we'll see how far I get.

I’ve never been good in noticing if the information was outdated or not. The only way that I would be able to tell if the information was outdated is if I read more recent information from a more credible source, but I guess that it has been either a long time since the Miniature Overberg was last seen, or it is so rare that credible information is hard to find.

I kind of suspect they were first created, and then recreated when snowies (MSA or Calls) where crossed to a wild type breed with the blue gene. I'm concerned about not changing the size too much, and since I happened upon some Aztecs anyway.

Did you notice your info about Overbergs was either quite old or from the UK? Neither bodes well for finding a healthy population in the US now.

I don't take on new projects lightly, as they are a lot of work and a long term commitment. I hope to reinvigorate and reinvent all at once, but we'll see how far I get.
Not to turn this thread into a thread about Aztec's, but I'm just curious. Do you keep both colors of Aztec's? Are you on the Aztec thread here in BYC?

Not to turn this thread into a thread about Aztec's, but I'm just curious. Do you keep both colors of Aztec's? Are you on the Aztec thread here in BYC?
All of mine are homozygous for blue, or at least I thought that, but this year a young drake came out looking more like a blue phase Australian Spotted than the silver head of his father. It is harder to tell on the females, so perhaps one of the hens was heterozygous after all. When I cross them to MSD, all the progeny should be het for blue, if I get some greenheads, then I will know.
I haven't been following the thread here, but I am a member of the Aztec group on FB.

the white cubalaya in my avatar is a descendent of sandhill birds. while their stock was not perfect they were easy to breed up. i only got the original 50 birds from them many years ago but i still order seeds from them occasionally. the original tomato strain is still producing year after year. the drowns are good people

the white cubalaya in my avatar is a descendent of sandhill birds. while their stock was not perfect they were easy to breed up. i only got the original 50 birds from them many years ago but i still order seeds from them occasionally. the original tomato strain is still producing year after year. the drowns are good people
I have been waiting so I could get some birds from Sandhill. They seem like they have better quality birds that hatchery stock, and I have looked everywhere and they seem to be the only source of certain breeds or varieties that I would like. I would still buy from them regardless of the quality, because like you said they should be easy, or easier to breed up than hatchery stock.

Back to Sandhill Preservation. I’ve placed an order for some chicks later this year. It will be my second order from them, the first one was 3 or 4 years ago.

When we got the first order, they arrived alive, and quickly. I recall getting a couple extra chicks, and I think a couple died within a few days, but that’s pretty common to loose 1-2. We got lucky with about 60% females out of the 25 chicks. This time we’ve ordered 3 breeds, with some alternates listed. Hoping for a healthy shipment!

Back
Top Bottom