Quality of eggs?

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We ate our first eggs from the girls this week and they were different to the ones I buy at the markets. I was expecting the brighter colour (they were a really vivid dark orange!) but the egg white confused me. What I'm used to seeing when I crack them into the pan is the yolk, then the thick jelly-like egg white that sits around the yolk and holds itself in an oval shape, then a bit of watery sort of egg white that spreads out. With the ones we got from our chooks the watery bit of the white is missing. Is this a sign that they are better quality or it just "different".

Better quality and a lot fresher. It won't take long until you don;t want to go back to those store eggs.

I have a question about the eggs. Sometimes I see a little black spec in some of them. What is that?

i think what you're talking about is blood spots and seem to appear more often in girls who just started laying. but sometimes it happens in a particular girl even as they age. i don't mind the lil specks that are really tiny....if i'm cooking it, i figure it's no different than eating a hamburger that's laden with blood. but if the speck is bigger, i just get a spoon and pick it out. and hubby and i HATE store bought eggs now! i dread buying them, and i've had to resort to it from time to time this year cuz we only had 2 laying hens....now we have 3....and the other girls i have will soon be laying.

The thickness in the egg white is a sign of a very fresh egg. You don't see that in store bought eggs because ....they're not fresh
big_smile.png

I agree on all these posts. The eggs you get from the store can be up 3 weeks or more old before you buy them. They are also raised with steroid and production chemicals that your yard eggs will never have. If you ever watched some of the egg production farm videos you wouldnt ever buy one again
smile.png

Thanks for the replies! I haven't bought storebought eggs for years, so I'm only comparing them to the free range "would-be-classified-organic-if-accreditation-didn't-cost-us-so-much" eggs from our local farmers market, which I thought would be fairly fresh? It sounds like maybe the farmers market eggs are not as fresh as I thought though, and definitely don't compare to that straight from a chook's bum goodness.

Another fantastic thing I have noticed with fresh eggs, is how lovely they are to make deviled eggs with. With the store bought eggs, after boiling and cutting them in half, there would always be a deformity at the end of the egg. Old eggs loose a lot of moisture, so when you boil and peel them, you don't get that whole egg shape. With a fresh egg, you get that nice egg shape with the yoke-hole centered.

I have always had trouble taking the shell off of a fresh egg that is boiled, what is your secret to getting the egg to not stick to the shell?

Quote:
After boiling the eggs, I immediately put them in ice cold water for 5-10 minutes. I never have problems peeling them doing it this way.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom