Quarantine period..how long, and how far away from my birds?

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Well, that says it all really. We got some nice pullets. Need to quarenteen them for worming, etc. how far away from my two coops should they be? How does this last? Then Back up with the grow out coop doing look but no touch? We’re excited..a deal we couldn’t turn down!

I really need pics to better advise ;)

Agree with @Kiki, should be as far away from your existing flock as possible. Also there are several articles on here that go over things to keep in mind during quarantine that you usually wouldn't think of.

I really need pics to better advise ;)

Agree with @Kiki, should be as far away from your existing flock as possible. Also there are several articles on here that go over things to keep in mind during quarantine that you usually wouldn't think of.
I was trying to find where to read about quarantine..but couldn’t...that’s why I’m asking..so, thanks very much for the article, etc

I was trying to find where to read about quarantine..but couldn’t...that’s why I’m asking..so, thanks very much for the article, etc
Ok, I just read the article..great article..we have two coops but they are beside each other. We felt it was plenty of time to put the 17 week pullets in with older flock... This changes things. I can’t imagine building an entire nother coop at this point. The birds are in two cages right now. Is that an acceptable situation being winter? They are in our barn. I could possibly put them in rabbit hutches and prepare a small run away from my chickens. I thought being closed up coops the birds would be ok next to each other. I looked here but couldn’t find anything under the threads about it. Do you want pictures of the chickens? There’s two of the hens.. there’s the hutches. I could put wood under to block cold, and close up so much hardware cloth.
E2F7F5BE-649F-4091-B7B0-9AC4B3AE7769.jpeg
A6B4009E-4438-4796-AFFE-AFE50CF2B5E8.jpeg
333683E3-1ACD-4833-9B41-4CBD956086FD.jpeg
BC80CF7A-051A-467B-82DC-D226E9989290.jpeg
775950CD-CCF3-4ABC-A775-E963F0F8E8AE.jpeg

If you can't properly quarantine then don't.

Be prepared for illnesses to arise.

You may get lucky and no one will get sick but know that it's possible.

Where did those pullets come from? That will have a lot to do with what your actual risk is. If they came form a closed flock, one that has not had any exposure to new birds for at least a month, they have been in quarantine, just not with you. Of course that begs the questions would the person keeping them recognize a problem if they saw it and would they tell you if they did. If they come from a flock that has recently been exposed to new birds the risk is much greater.

It is possible that your flock or the other flock has developed flock immunities. That's where they have parasites or a disease and are carriers but will not show signs of having them. Coccidiosis is a good example but there are others. No matter how long you quarantine them they are not likely to show any symptoms. One way to test this out during quarantine is to pick a potentially sacrificial bird from your flock and put it with the new birds. Then depending on who gets sick, if any do, you can see which flock is the carrier.

In my opinion, chickens from auctions, swaps, or shows are high risk and should be quarantined. Chickens from closed flocks are still a risk, but not as high a risk. If you can do a good quarantine it's still a good idea but very few of us are really capable of a meaningful quarantine.

Where did those pullets come from? That will have a lot to do with what your actual risk is. If they came form a closed flock, one that has not had any exposure to new birds for at least a month, they have been in quarantine, just not with you. Of course that begs the questions would the person keeping them recognize a problem if they saw it and would they tell you if they did. If they come from a flock that has recently been exposed to new birds the risk is much greater.

It is possible that your flock or the other flock has developed flock immunities. That's where they have parasites or a disease and are carriers but will not show signs of having them. Coccidiosis is a good example but there are others. No matter how long you quarantine them they are not likely to show any symptoms. One way to test this out during quarantine is to pick a potentially sacrificial bird from your flock and put it with the new birds. Then depending on who gets sick, if any do, you can see which flock is the carrier.

In my opinion, chickens from auctions, swaps, or shows are high risk and should be quarantined. Chickens from closed flocks are still a risk, but not as high a risk. If you can do a good quarantine it's still a good idea but very few of us are really capable of a meaningful quarantine.
I bought this bunch of pullets from a farm 35 miles from here. They sold them to us in the form of hay for their goats. We have better hay here. They had a nice set up. We spent a long time there and talked a lot about the rest of the farm too. Since they wanted hay...not cash..we felt that they were sacrificing the birds. That’s what they told us. The didn’t want to sell. They are not able to afford the good hay, so they are selling the pullets. It makes sense..we now drive 53 miles to get our good hay and it’s $9 a bale. Anyways.. I did read about sacrificing a hen. I have one that isn’t producing. I’m thinking of putting her in there. Oh..we built a coop this morning. It’s not pretty...but it’s big enough...has ventilation...roosts...etcs. It is just almost far enough. We had to keep it near electrical outlets for the water. We made a barrier too. Not that will do anything..but, somehow, mentally..it made me feel better. The rabbit hutches would have worked..but they wouldn’t have unfrozen water.
BD5508A8-3DF0-467A-B2E8-B66F7110E24B.jpeg
870810FD-5132-4175-B986-490648F3BDDF.jpeg
9C6428B6-6F76-47B6-9490-DEA3D319E23E.jpeg
BD27B524-4CF8-4416-A9A5-42EAF6C08CBE.jpeg
14BDEA88-8F1C-4374-A49B-FFF835A756EA.jpeg

I bought this bunch of pullets from a farm 35 miles from here. They sold them to us in the form of hay for their goats. We have better hay here. They had a nice set up. We spent a long time there and talked a lot about the rest of the farm too. Since they wanted hay...not cash..we felt that they were sacrificing the birds. That’s what they told us. The didn’t want to sell. They are not able to afford the good hay, so they are selling the pullets. It makes sense..we now drive 53 miles to get our good hay and it’s $9 a bale. Anyways.. I did read about sacrificing a hen. I have one that isn’t producing. I’m thinking of putting her in there. Oh..we built a coop this morning. It’s not pretty...but it’s big enough...has ventilation...roosts...etcs. It is just almost far enough. We had to keep it near electrical outlets for the water. We made a barrier too. Not that will do anything..but, somehow, mentally..it made me feel better. The rabbit hutches would have worked..but they wouldn’t have unfrozen water.View attachment 1981507View attachment 1981508View attachment 1981509View attachment 1981510View attachment 1981511
Is this cage the coop you built?

Back
Top Bottom