Quarantine Question

SweetSkyFarmGrl

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Hi Folks,

I'd like to add two more production reds to my flock of 4. I've read all about quarantine and have a few questions. My flock of 4 were born March 21st and I'm going to add two that were born March 28th. I can easily keep them quarantined in the run during the day (it's about 16x16) but I'm not sure what to do with them at night. From what I've read I shouldn't put them in the coop together at night for two weeks either, correct? Since I don't have another coop to keep them separate, I'm considering keeping them in a large tote in my garage with the top on and good ventilation holes throughout. Is that a viable solution? Is there a different way to keep them that is more economical that buying a new container/dog crate/etc.? Thanks so much for your help!!

Just put something for the new birds to roost on in the pen, a:branch or 2x4 turned edge ways.... They do not have to have a coop for that short of time, in my opinion.

Most of my birds do not use the coup for the first 2-4 months and a few mature birds roost outside of the coop on branches i have in the pens. I let them roost where they want to roost.

Last edited:
I kept two new birds in the garage for a couple week. It worked out pretty well. I'm glad I kept them separate, because it was a bigger adjustment to the flock than I expected. I was happy to have them move into the real coop, though. What a pain transporting them back and forth!

I don't know the size of your tub, but chickens don't need a lot of space to sleep. A big tub should work. I used something 4x4 that I had on hand, and that was more than enough space. I would think the top should be more ventilation than lid, though. Sounds like what you are thinking, too.

Enjoy your new reds!

Back
Top Bottom