Please everyone, quarantine. So many getting busy buying and selling, and planning to buy and sell. A quick reminder to use common sense and quarantine, if you do not quarantine, you have only yourself to blame. One would think with all the talk of quarantining no one would need to be reminded to do the same with all animals they buy. Also buying many in a short period of time is risky. I don’t know which is worse, a Person whom is not new to animals driving around loading up cages in the back of a pickup truck and taking home with absolutely no plans to quarantine because they plan to flip or a Newbie driving around from place to place, state to state in the same day buying up small barnyard animals, loading them in cages in the back of a truck and not bothering to quarantine with absolutely no practical experience with small barnyard animals? What is worse? Both equally should know better, common sense should prevail. Quarantine new animals to your farm should go without saying but do people listen? Nope, because they know everything. And they will blame everyone else for their mistakes.

The last weekend of May I saw swaps set up in parking lots far from the front doors of the local weed and feed stores, whereas they usually are right upfront. The local Weed and Feed stores were claiming not to be holding swaps. I went to a local Weed and Feed store Saturday and was surprised by the sheer number of people driving around with a truckload of cages to fill, looking to buy all kinds of small Barnyard animals and they had no experience and said so but they were reading up on animals. Well I once stayed at a Holiday Inn but that does not make me an expert on anything. Went by the auction place and the parkinglot was packed, I mean packed! We did not stop. A most known place that usually holds swaps had more people than I ever remember seeing there this past Saturday. They were not wearing masks and did not want to hear about quarantining. Quarantine should be on everyone’s mind but apparently it is not. If you don’t quarantine you have only yourself to blame.

Word to the wise, do not drive from place to place, from state to state looking for small barnyard animals from different people loading up cages to take home and not bother with quarantining. Quarantine everything or you have only yourself to blame.

Please everyone, quarantine. So many getting busy buying and selling, and planning to buy and sell. A quick reminder to use common sense and quarantine, if you do not quarantine, you have only yourself to blame. One would think with all the talk of quarantining no one would need to be reminded to do the same with all animals they buy. Also buying many in a short period of time is risky. I don’t know which is worse, a Person whom is not new to animals driving around loading up cages in the back of a pickup truck and taking home with absolutely no plans to quarantine because they plan to flip or a Newbie driving around from place to place, state to state in the same day buying up small barnyard animals, loading them in cages in the back of a truck and not bothering to quarantine with absolutely no practical experience with small barnyard animals? What is worse? Both equally should know better, common sense should prevail. Quarantine new animals to your farm should go without saying but do people listen? Nope, because they know everything. And they will blame everyone else for their mistakes.

The last weekend of May I saw swaps set up in parking lots far from the front doors of the local weed and feed stores, whereas they usually are right upfront. The local Weed and Feed stores were claiming not to be holding swaps. I went to a local Weed and Feed store Saturday and was surprised by the sheer number of people driving around with a truckload of cages to fill, looking to buy all kinds of small Barnyard animals and they had no experience and said so but they were reading up on animals. Well I once stayed at a Holiday Inn but that does not make me an expert on anything. Went by the auction place and the parkinglot was packed, I mean packed! We did not stop. A most known place that usually holds swaps had more people than I ever remember seeing there this past Saturday. They were not wearing masks and did not want to hear about quarantining. Quarantine should be on everyone’s mind but apparently it is not. If you don’t quarantine you have only yourself to blame.

Word to the wise, do not drive from place to place, from state to state looking for small barnyard animals from different people loading up cages to take home and not bother with quarantining. Quarantine everything or you have only yourself to blame.
Welcome to BYC, And great advice thanks for sharing!

In many cases, I think people just don't know better. I didn't, when I first got into chickens. And the people who sold me my first chickens certainly didn't bother to try to educate me. I learned about the importance of quarantining right here, from the helpful folks on BYC. I will probably always keep a closed flock now, only adding new birds by buying day-olds from a hatchery and keeping them separate for weeks. The only cure for ignorance is education. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom