Quarantine

Chicken face

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 17, 2013
I think I made a big mistake, and introduced an americana to our barred rock flock without quarantine. Straight from one chicken house to ours. She stayed in there maybe 10 minutes, the others pecked her a little. My wife came back to the house to do the research we should have done before hand, and we immediately removed her, and will be taking her back tonight. What is the likelihood of contamination, and is there anything I should do for my barred rocks? I am terrified I may have harmed my chickens. Anyone out there with words of comfort/ information?

It's going to be all right! It's a good thing that you took her out now instead of later. I would most definitely take her to the vet and see if she has any infections or sicknesses that are contagious. If not then no need to worry. if so, then check for signs of that illness on your other chickens. If there are signs and, depending on the type of illness they may have caught, try putting them all on medication for that illness. ONLY if it won't harm chickens that don't have the sickness. A back up plan- that's all I can help you with. Anyways good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom