Quarantine

chicken stalker

TOS Rocks!
Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
I'm hopeful going to invest in some more chickens next month
big_smile.png
. There is going to be a large poultry show at the NYS Fairgrounds. I know that I should quarantine the new birds for 2-3 weeks. If I buy a few birds should I quarantine each of them seperatly?

Good question. I guess it would be best to keep them separate from each other if they come from different breeders, if you have the room. If not, I would at least keep them separate from your birds. Hope you find some cool birds!

Paula:)
smile.png

Ideally, you would quarantine them separately, however, most people dont have the facilities to do so. Separate quarters would insure that your new birds didn't pass anything to each other. I wouldn't quarantine for less than 4 weeks, though. Sometimes it takes even longer than that for something to show up. Two weeks isn't long enough, IMO.

Quarentine them a minimum of 30 days and as far away from your other chickens as possible!

As for individual or separate. I guess you need to consider, are they coming from the same place? Won't make a difference then. Or from separate places? Then I would consider separate quarantine. Of course, there is the how many are you willing to treat/loose too. If you get one from person #1 and two from person #2 and 4 from person #3 and the one from person #1 turns out to be sick and you house them together they could/will all be sick in short order.

Back
Top Bottom