Question about A frame coop doors

SophieLain127

Songster
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
I've noticed a lot of A frames have the door on the one of the roof sides. How would you stop water from seeping in? I'm still trying to figure out where to put the door. I like the side door but I'm not sure how to stop water leakage.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Good question! I couldn't figure it out, so for my cleanout in the A frame tractor is that all of one roof/wall/slanted piece of plywood lifts up into the slot/overhang of the middle peak trim boards and lifts out of the groove sorta thingie created with bottom trim. I put handles on the bottom corners of this plywood, and latches top and bottom corners. It will leak some in really driving rain - but I think that is from the back nest box door, which at some point I will completely redo. Someday.
27390_7april2009_001.jpg

Quote:
Simple. Be sure to make your roof and rafters to provide a generous overhang of, say, 6" or so at each end. Same as a properly built house or barn, just a smaller scale.
cool.png

Okay so I've decided to hinge the door on the side (on the roof) I'm only going to do it half way so I need ideas on some type of movebale flashing that can go over the hinged area to stop rain from getting in and stop the hinges from getting yucky.

Ideas?

Quote:
Do you mean only one side of the roof, or 1/2 of one side of the roof. If the former, then a piece of flashing bent around a pipe or closet rod so as to provide a curved piece that is above the peak of the roof and runs the length of it. The straight part of it would be nailed to the decking and the curve would extend up and over the top joint, but not so far that it cannot be opened. Hinges would be beneath the decking. If the latter, then a piece of sheet rubber or vinyl baseboard would make a flexible flashing. Hinges could be above decking or beneath if a 3/4" gap was left for it to open. Actually, you could do the sheet rubber for the hinge at the peak, but UV light would eventually deteriorate it to where it would crack and leak. So if doing it that way, then best to attach with screws and a hold-down strip over it so as to be able to change it when needed. Best to attach it with screws no matter the arrangement so as to be able to replace it when the time comes.
big_smile.png

My a-frame has one of the sides as the door. I built my a-frame with 8' sheets of plywood and now wish that I would have cut the side in half vertically (top to bottom) so that one door could be opened to check for eggs or clean the roosting area and the other end could be opened just to feed and water. That being said, the door is only 2/3 the height of the side piece so the hinged area is horizontal and about 24" up from the bottom of the plywood side. I use a small flap of an old tarp (just cut it about 6" x the length of your door) and used gorilla glue to attach it to the coop. I've not had any trouble with snow or rain, and goodness knows we've had way more than our fair share this year...today included!

Yes only half of the roof. It will swing upwards and latch. My DH says that a piece of rubber flashing will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom