1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about adding chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BigLarry, Jun 21, 2016.

1. BigLarry

BigLarry Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure where a good place to post this is so I'm asking here if I need to move it please let me know.

I have 2 3 month old chicks and 3 1 month old chicks. The 1 month old chicks are ready to be moved outside but I'm wondering if it is safe for them to go in the same coop as my 3 month old chicks or if I should separate them for a while before letting them mingle. I'm pretty sure they're all pullets however I'm still not sure about one. If it's ok to add them in how should I go about doing that and if it's not when would it be ok to let them run around together?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Divide up the space and plan on keeping them separately for a while. I would keep them divided for at least a week before trying to let them mingle. Divide them back up if it doesn't work and try again the next day until they tolerate each other. Some are fine after a week some can take longer.

3. BigLarry

BigLarry Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    I will most definitely try this. Thank you for the feedback. I really hope this works, my wife will throw a fit if the chickens start fighting.

4. afviolettes

afviolettes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    BigLarry,

I'm facing a similar issue - I have 6 chicks and 6 hens that are ~6 months old.

I've done a few supervised field trips, but thought of a better way ... I built a quick "crate" for them outside and every other day or so I'll put them all in the crate, in the run, and leave them out there for a few hours ... This way the chicks see the big birds, and the big birds see the chicks ... but since the chicks are enclosed in their own crate - they can't get out and no one can get in ...

So far my big birds will check them out for about 10-15 minutes right after I put them in ... then they ignore them ... We had one try to houdini and fly out ... bigger birds paid no mind.

Good luck!

- Jason

(Edit)

Here's some pictures for a visual:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by