question about adding new rooster to coop

jordan293

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Las cruces, nm
Is it OK to put a large rooster in a pen with 9 five week old chicks? I was given a large rooster and only have one chicken coop, I put the rooster in yesterday right before sundown so the chicks were locked away in there little house but they could see each other. I let them out this morning and they've been getting along very well but its only been like 5 hours should I be worried and keep a close eye on them? Every one keeps asking me if its going to beat up the little chicks? Here is a picture of him I was told he's a white leghorn

My 7.5 week old rooster goes after my 3 week old chicks and tries to peck them to death. But all of the older chickens try to peck them. I just put them together over the weekend. I made a safe place for the little ones to escape from the big chickens.
I worry about them.

He looks fairly young himself - and also appears to be a red sex link, not a white leghorn...unless what appears to be colored patches on the wings is an area that has been picked bald?

I, personally, would not have integrated them so quickly. For starters, I'd have wanted to do a quarantine to protect my chicks from any illnesses the rooster could be carrying with him. Since that would take 30 days, that would have put the chicks at 9 weeks of age and better suited to begin the integration period....with my personal goal being to have them integrated and co-habitating at around 16+ weeks.

He looks fairly young himself - and also appears to be a red sex link, not a white leghorn...unless what appears to be colored patches on the wings is an area that has been picked bald?

I, personally, would not have integrated them so quickly.  For starters, I'd have wanted to do a quarantine to protect my chicks from any illnesses the rooster could be carrying with him.  Since that would take 30 days, that would have put the chicks at 9 weeks of age and better suited to begin the integration period....with  my personal goal being to have them integrated and co-habitating at around 16+ weeks.  
ya He has brown on him, all his other siblings were all white, they were together all day and they did fine he didn't seem to interested in them, also I don't think he needs to be quarantined he came from my grandpas house he's raised chickens for decades and he keeps his chickens living areas very clean and he would probly know if one was sick and he wouldn't give it to me

It was funny I caught them all taking a nap together in the middle of The day huddled in a group the rooster too I decided to call him ralph

Back
Top Bottom