Question about all my hens laying in one nest!!!!!!

jacca5

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Hodgenville, KY
Ok I am new to having chickens so I know nothing about their behavior when they are sitting on eggs. That being said I have 7 hens, a few days ago I thought I would leave some eggs for them to sit on and try to hatch out but now I have 10 eggs in the same nest and I get no eggs in the other nests. The thing is I don't think any of them are sitting on the eggs. So my question is what is enough for her to sit on? Should I take all ten out and start all over? Or really just what am I doing wrong???????
sad.png

well,you can't make a hen hatch eggs it is a natural thing when a hen sits on eggs she is "broody" but you can encourage it by putting eggs,golf balls ect in the nest ,WELCOME!!

Last edited:
Hi welcome.

1 What are the age of you hens?
2 You have to have a hen that is "Broody" if you do not have a Broody hen, no amount of leaving/putting eggs in a nest will help.
3 If you have a Broody hen you may need to isolate her to a separate pen to be left alone.

BA

Ok first they are all a year and half old and are they broody I have no idea I am just going to be honest I do not know what I am doing. I thought maybe one of the hens would sit on the nest. I seen her sitting and turning them and pulling hay from another and putting it into the nest with eggs. So maybe?

Take the eggs out of the nest, because they'll spoil. Instead put golfballs or wooden eggs, and put 5-8 in one nest. Make sure to put a (1)golfball(or wooden egg) in the other nests so the other hens realize it's "okay" to use the other nest boxes.

You will know your hen is broody when she "entrenches" herself in the nest. She will sit there almost all day and all night, with the occasional break for food, water, or dust bath. When you approach a broody hen, she will growl or fuss or even take a peck at you, because she isn't willing to give up her stand.

Once you have a hen that has sat on the nest for several days on the golfballs, then you can take whatever eggs you want hatched out and just swap them with the golfballs.

-Kim

What breed of hens do you have? they may or may not have the tendency to go broody.

I think you will know if they are Broody. you maybe fooled by the hens making a better nest, but when you first see a broody hen there is no question.
Quote:
Maybe
smile.png

"Hens will make muttering, growling sounds if disturbed, and may even peck or otherwise try to defend her nest. She will only leave the nest once a day to eat, drink and defecate"

BA

Ok I have 7 hens three are Brahma, one Dominique, and two white hens that lay brown eggs I don't know what kind they are and rooster that I am not sure what kind he is either
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom