Question about Barred Rock Hens

kcampbell453

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
Ohio
Hi everyone, I have 3 Barred Rock Hens and 1 Barred Rock Rooster along with 4 Golden Comets. The BR's are 19 weeks old and haven't started laying yet. I have read on a few posts that the hens combs and waddles will turn red when they are ready to start laying. Does anyone know about this? Quite honestly, other than my Rooster, the other BR's don't have much of a comb or waddle at all. I know it's basically a waiting game, but I'm new to this and just wondered if there's any truth in that. Here's a pic of Freddy Mac(our gentleman rooster) and his most favorite companion, Fannie Mae! Thanks for any info that anyone might have!!

The pullet's comb and 'wattles' are already starting to color up. They will enlarge considerably prior to the onset of egg laying. 19 weeks is too early to expect eggs from your birds. They look to be in excellent condition.

A pullet is a pullet until her first birthday as a cockerel is a cockerel until he blows out the candle as well. LOL

Yes, Good Barred Rocks are not birds like a sex link like a Golden Comet. They are slower, true dual purpose birds. They often are still laying long after a Golden Comet is done. Kind of the turtle versus the hare story. They are handsome indeed.

Back
Top Bottom