Question about bleach on clothes

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My DH has a very nice lightweight jacket given to him by the police dept. he works for. It's not a work jacket, but an everyday one.

The outer shell of the jacket is nylon and tan in color. The liner is polyester and black in color.

Last night I'm walking around in a daze, doing housework and laundry. I see the jacket laying there needing to be washed, so I tossed it in with a load of lightweight clothes. A few minutes later when the washer was full I added bleach without thinking.

I freaked, but the jacket came out fine. No bleach spots. *whew*

Please tell me the spots don't show up later!
fl.gif

As long as it's dry and no spots you should be fine. They can not be visible while wet though, and appear after it's dry. So once it's dry if it still looks good I'd say you're all set.

It's dry and I checked it over well. No bleach spots. It actually looks pretty good, maybe it needed a little bleaching.

Thanks Laura
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, if it's dry you're all set. Glad it worked out, I would have FREAKED. Bleach and I have never gotten along, I avoid it as much as possible, being a massive klutz and all.

Funny side note about me and bleach: Once, many years ago, I was renting an apartment. When I went to move out, I discovered a bottle of bleach in the bathroom had leaked and bleached out a section of the bathroom linoleum floor. I was dying because I really needed my security deposit back. So I sat there, for hours, HAND PAINTING the pattern back onto the floor using craft paints. I happen to be a wiz at matching colors, and was able to paint the colors and pattern over the bleached area. Then I took some water based varnish and went over that for the shiny look. It worked. The landlord never noticed it and I got my deposit back.
lol.png

Quote:
Yeah, if it's dry you're all set. Glad it worked out, I would have FREAKED. Bleach and I have never gotten along, I avoid it as much as possible, being a massive klutz and all.

Funny side note about me and bleach: Once, many years ago, I was renting an apartment. When I went to move out, I discovered a bottle of bleach in the bathroom had leaked and bleached out a section of the bathroom linoleum floor. I was dying because I really needed my security deposit back. So I sat there, for hours, HAND PAINTING the pattern back onto the floor using craft paints. I happen to be a wiz at matching colors, and was able to paint the colors and pattern over the bleached area. Then I took some water based varnish and went over that for the shiny look. It worked. The landlord never noticed it and I got my deposit back.
lol.png

lau.gif
Good smart thinking there! Wait a year, then it fades!

Quote:

lol.png

I would say you got lucky!! I manage a bunch of rental properties and it always amazes me all the bleach spots we find in carpet. Can people not figure out that if it bleaches your clothes it's gonna do the same to carpet???

Quote:

lol.png

lau.gif
Good smart thinking there! Wait a year, then it fades!

Yeah, but by then I was long gone. I don't condone that sort of behavior mind you, but I was 19 and just wanted that darn security deposit back. Nowadays I own my own house, so I'd only be tricking myself and be fixing it a year later.
lol.png

Quote:

lol.png

I would say you got lucky!! I manage a bunch of rental properties and it always amazes me all the bleach spots we find in carpet. Can people not figure out that if it bleaches your clothes it's gonna do the same to carpet???

That wasn't my only run-in with bleach. Now I'm outright paranoid about it, so I keep the bottle inside a cleaning bucket in the closet *just in case*.

Back
Top Bottom