Question about blue eggs

There are also several other problems= egg color/shade is also subjective. A person will see blue while another sees green-blue in the same egg. The eggshell can and does change shade after being laid- they get paler with age/exposure. Also the shade can lighten through the laying cycle.

One time I took a bunch of eggs that were turquoise(greenish blue or bluish green) to ME to a family event and asked them(none were chicken folks at all) what they thought the color was.. it was almost unanimous they regarded these very same eggs as 'blue'.. upon being asked 'are you sure? don't see any green?' most said nope not at all, these eggs were solid blue to their eyes. There was no way I would have considered these eggs as 'solid blue' but I was way outvoted.

My own experience- had Araucanas, the 'real thing'- rumpless, tufted, etc etc.. most of them laid turquoise, with some laying greenish eggs. Recall only one laying eggs that seemed truly blue to me.. even so, that hen laid green eggs as a pullet. (btw most of the eggs I brought to the event were from those birds)

Quote:
Isn't blue the result of colored white eggs and green the result of colored brown eggs? And, the green varies based upon the strength of the underlying brown?

I
understand that EasterEgg hens are mixed-breed "mutt" hens and that they therefore can also lay eggs that are pink, or green, or brown, cream, or white

i thought EEs couldnt lay white/cream eggs. i was told that my americauna mix who lay white/cream eggs wasnt a real EE​

Isn't blue the result of colored white eggs and green the result of colored brown eggs? And, the green varies based upon the strength of the underlying brown?

No and yes.

Blue eggs are the result of blue eggshells with no brown coating.

Green eggs are the result of blue eggshells with a brown coating.

Brown eggs are the result of a white eggshell with a brown coating.

White eggs are the result of a white eggshell with no brown coating.

Offhand I don't recall the source of chemical causing the brown coating. The blue eggshell is created from the same chemical that creates bile.​

Quote:
No and yes.

Blue eggs are the result of blue eggshells with no brown coating.

Green eggs are the result of blue eggshells with a brown coating.

Brown eggs are the result of a white eggshell with a brown coating.

White eggs are the result of a white eggshell with no brown coating.

Offhand I don't recall the source of chemical causing the brown coating. The blue eggshell is created from the same chemical that creates bile.

Yes, I meant underlying brown quality, not that the brown was physically under the color.

Back
Top Bottom