Question about breed

GaChicklette

Chirping
Feb 27, 2017
Rockmart, Georgia
These are not the great pics-- we purchased 3yellow ducklings at TSC as 'Khaki Campbell" but immediately upon looking the breed up we knew this wasn't so. They all looked fairly similar initially except for Howard/Molina who had a greyish mask or widows peak. Now----he/she looks totally different----and we're fairly certain that the two larger are Pekin and he/she is....... a fawn runner or?

Any ideas?

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest but it was bath time and after bath quick photos!

Last edited:
The all yellow definitely look like Pekins to me
1f914.png

The all yellow definitely look like Pekins to me
1f914.png
Thank you---I'm pretty certain they are--not sure their gender but time will tell! We are so curious about our little Howard/Molina---she stands up straight as can be and has that kind of penguin stance---- ugh at first I thought she/he was sick, now I know she's just different!

Sounds like the farm store mix-up strikes again.
1f644.png

I think you may be right...the one in the lower right-hand corner looks Runner to me (seems to have the right bill shape, anyway) and fawn and white makes sense. The other babies could certainly be Pekins, too. The TSCs where I live sell Pekins (and KCs, but they're much darker in coloring - dark brown, really) but not Runners.

They're all adorable, of course. Have fun!

Last edited:
Sounds like the farm store mix-up strikes again.
1f644.png

I think you may be right...the one in the lower right-hand corner looks Runner to me (seems to have the right bill shape, anyway) and fawn and white makes sense. The other babies could certainly be Pekins, too. The TSCs where I live sell Pekins (and KCs, but they're much darker in coloring - dark brown, really) but not Runners.

They're all adorable, of course. Have fun!
Thank you!! The TSC has not claimed runners but since they told me KC---I'm figuring they didn't know and they have them marked as 'assorted ducks'. They really are sweet and we are enjoying them along with our little mallard babies too....at least a runner type helps us feel better about why she/he is so different from the fatty baby Pekins!

Thank you!!  The TSC has not claimed runners but since they told me KC---I'm figuring they didn't know and they have them marked as 'assorted ducks'.     They really are sweet and we are enjoying them along with our little mallard babies too....at least a runner type helps us feel better about why she/he is so different from the fatty baby Pekins!
LOL...I have a fawn and white Runner who's a hoot. She hatched Runner/Pekin cross ducklings - they're beautiful and awesome foragers. The Pekin drake is a nice, mellow guy who loves the water - I mean really loves it. I think he'd live in water if he could.

Another identifier would be if you've seen your "mystery" duckling with the more upright Runner posture. They're aptly named.
1f604.png

LOL...I have a fawn and white Runner who's a hoot. She hatched Runner/Pekin cross ducklings - they're beautiful and awesome foragers. The Pekin drake is a nice, mellow guy who loves the water - I mean really loves it. I think he'd live in water if he could.

Another identifier would be if you've seen your "mystery" duckling with the more upright Runner posture. They're aptly named.
1f604.png

Oh wow.....our mystery baby stands OUT in the crowd for sure as she stands straight up---very upright!
@GaChicklette , here's a link to my post about the ducklings (with pics), if it's of interest: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1145327/runner-pekin-crosses-color.
Thank you so much! I took a look and that helped totally!

Back
Top Bottom