Question about brooder heating

Calia

Hatching
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Shirley, NY
When it comes to heating the brooder, I've noticed that a lot of instructions say to use a heat lamp or regular light bub. I was wondering if there has to be light, or if I can use one of the many Ceramic Heat Emitters I have.

Here is an image and description of the item I'm talking about:
ceramicheatalt.jpg

ReptiCare
00ae.png
Ceramic Heat Emitters are the perfect 24 hour heat source for all reptiles. These porcelain heating devices screw into a standard porcelain incandescent socket, giving off intense "muscle-penetrating" infrared heat, while emitting no light. The flat-faced design is more efficient and longer lasting than conical designs which build up excess heat internally, ultimately carbonizing the element.

Additional Information:

# Last up to 5 years
# Perfect for high humidity terrariums
# UL/cUL classified when used in conjunction with Zoo Meds Wire Cage Clamp Lamp (LF-10).

I have extras of these laying around, and thought maybe I can put it to good use as I could leave it on all the time and it would be less likely to short out or keep the chicks up at night. Thoughts please?

Yes, that's exactly what I used. You do have to be careful to use the special socket for it, a porcelain one.

I used the clamp lamp that they sell to go with these kind of bulbs but always fastened the lamp with wire in addition to using the clamp. Clamp lamps are notorious for getting dislodged and falling down into the bedding. They also make a bulb cover for the clamp lamps that are good to prevent the possibility of a chick flying up into the bulb and burning itself.

thanks...I have plenty of ceramic core clamp lamps, and was gonna kind of use a fishtank screen lid (have lots of extras of these too) to place it on. That way there is something larger than the lamb separating it from the chick

Back
Top Bottom