Question about Broody hen

Cynful481

Chirping
Dec 26, 2017
Alabama
So about a week ago I was dreading my afternoon visit with my chickens for about the last 3 days one of my girls has not been herself. She will not roost with the other girls and wants to lay in her nesting box all day and night. I have pulled her out so many times and she seems dazed, she seems healthy and she will eat, but does not waste time going back to her box and making a clucking noise that almost sounds like a constant hiccup. My very kind neighbor explained she has gone completely broody and he gave me 6 fertilized eggs to put under her.( we do not have a roo) I marked them so I can remove the other eggs the other girls are laying. She has not fought me over taken any eggs the last few days but she would make a heartbreaking squawk when she realized they were gone. I thought she was really sick and was going to die I figured any day now I would find her dead.....so I am quiet relived she is okay
Her face was priceless when I started shoving the fertilized eggs under her
So we lost 2 eggs to cracks. I went out to the coop day before yesterday to find one of my chickens literally sitting on top of my broody's head and upper body trying to lay her egg in the nesting box (there are 3 other boxes but they all lay in this one) is this how my eggs are getting cracked? Also can you move a broody and her nest of eggs into another location without it messing her up there is no way to block this box without shutting & locking the coop door after I left the others out in the morning....and where will they lay their eggs? I NEED GUIDANCE

Last edited:
It's hard when a broody picks the favorite nest box to lay in. I have moved dedicated broodies and had it go both ways. Most of the time they sit tight, but I did have one go completely bonkers when I moved her and her nest. I did it at night, just like always, but when I went to check on her in the morning, she was crazy, and most of her eggs were broken. At this point, if it were mine, I'd take the chance. If the other hens are going in that nest to lay, it's likely more of the eggs will break or crack. That has been my experience, anyway. If you do move her, do it at night with as little fuss as possible.

It's hard when a broody picks the favorite nest box to lay in. I have moved dedicated broodies and had it go both ways. Most of the time they sit tight, but I did have one go completely bonkers when I moved her and her nest. I did it at night, just like always, but when I went to check on her in the morning, she was crazy, and most of her eggs were broken. At this point, if it were mine, I'd take the chance. If the other hens are going in that nest to lay, it's likely more of the eggs will break or crack. That has been my experience, anyway. If you do move her, do it at night with as little fuss as possible.
Thought about just shutting the coop off and maybe trying to get a nesting box inside the run for the others to use....but at night they still need their coop

We are in the process of a broody hatch right now. I had moved our first broody girl to a more secluded location and she was having none of it.

I tried 3 of our girls on fake eggs first to test their faithfulness and the steadfastness of their broodiness, so no real eggs were broken in the process. 2 girls ended up being broody and are presently hatching.

So, back to girl #1.. I ended up rigging 'her' box like this.. I say 'her' box, because thats the box she went broody in and thats the one she went back to
IMG_0639.JPG IMG_2040.JPG IMG_4133.JPG
Now, prior to her hatching any babies, the food and water were not there and her curtains hung on the inside of the wire. Happy to give you more info in interested. I hope it all works well for you. Broody mama's and babies are the bomb! :ya

IMG_7224.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6687.JPG
    IMG_6687.JPG
    889.7 KB · Views: 5
Do you have a dog crate you could move her into inside the coop?

I keep my chickens in an electrified paddock and mobile coops. I put my broody girls in a 5x5 PVC run I built with 1/2" chicken wire all around with a tote with a door affixed to the side it works really well and I start letting her and the chicks out when they are a week old. I keep them in it at night and make sure the chicks get a good chance to eat before we let them out in the late morning.
chick run open.jpg
Hen in tote.jpg
mama and chick run.jpg

I closed off the side of the coop where she is. I had to close off the coop door to do this, lucky for me there is a access door on the other side that I never have opened so I moved the ramp to that door. I know this is not pretty to look at but I hope it will work. There are 2 nesting boxes on the other side hopefully the other 3 chickens will use those boxes and leave her alone.:fl:fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom