question about call ducks

KuroKitsune

Songster
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Kansas
i have been wanting to add ducks to my flock and decided to do so this year and thought calls might be good since their small....just have a couple questions about them.

was reading the stickies and it said that calls are loud and talkative...have no problems with talkative as my 5 LF cochin girls are pretty talkative but how loud are they?

are they hard to hatch out? couple listing on ebay have said that they can be difficult and getting hatching eggs is the only way for me to get calls. what would i have to do to help them hatch well?

would a drake and 4 girls be ok or would a drake and 5 girls be better?

are they decently friendly? i spend a good amount of time with all my birds so if time is needed fo them to be friendly i've got it

are they flyers? if so does that mean i have to clip wings so they stay at my place?

i have been wanting to add ducks to my flock and decided to do so this year and thought calls might be good since their small....just have a couple questions about them.

was reading the stickies and it said that calls are loud and talkative...have no problems with talkative as my 5 LF cochin girls are pretty talkative but how loud are they?

are they hard to hatch out? couple listing on ebay have said that they can be difficult and getting hatching eggs is the only way for me to get calls. what would i have to do to help them hatch well?

are they decently friendly? i spend a good amount of time with all my birds so if time is needed fo them to be friendly i've got it

are they flyers? if so does that mean i have to clip wings so they stay at my place?

1. here my Video of mine

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-noise-of-a-single-call-female#post_12286658

2. Yes, heard this as well, since mine are young no experience as of yet. I don't honestly know what can be done to "improve" i know many will take eggs and artificially incubate but i hear just as many leaving duck mama to do it. I am going to see if mine can produce this year i'd like a few more but am not interested in buying any.

3. Either would be fine, i keep a quad.. so 1 drake 3 ducks.. they are more than fine, i want to increase due to the cold, they share a rather larger coop with no other birds and our winters are harsh.

4. yes, given the effort for them to know and trust you, their small size really helps in this because they are so able to be carried and handled throughout the years.

5. Yes, like the wind... really, really well and high.. my pen is quite tall.. it's a dog run, if i don't tarp or net it they can fly out of it... i think the panels are 8ft tall?? i don't clip mine but most do, for me they never go far and it's an accidental fly out and they want back in lol All depends on your set-ups.

welcome-byc.gif

1) Call ducks can be very loud! Their regular quacking, which they never seem to stop doing, isn't loud but if they get upset they scream. And that is extremely loud! The video Going Quackers posted is an excellent example of the screaming.
2) I've never hatched any so I can't help you there, sorry!
3) I would probably go with 4 girls. If you had 5 the poor guy would be absolutely exhausted.
4) If you handle them regularly they should be friendly. One of mine I raised from 3 months old and she's very content to be held and pet. But one of my males was never handled at his previous home and he bites.
5) Yes they definitely fly. I always keep mine clipped just in case.

Back
Top Bottom