1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about Campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cottagechick, Jan 7, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I just saw this statement,

"mpbells are prolific layers and active foragers. Most Campbells lay their first eggs when 5-7 months old and will average 250-340 eggs of superb texture and flavor per year. With an age staggered flock, one may have eggs year-round."

On http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/campbell.html

Am
    I to take this to mean that if I got a duck say in January and then one in June that one would be laying when the other stopped? Are they not dependent on the season/light like chickens?

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I don't know much about them but I do know that I can always count on eggs from them.

and yes it makes sense since I had them in different ages

3. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    We only have 1 khaki and she just keeps chugging along, rarely misses a day. temp was only 6* in the coop a couple days ago and still had an egg in there. [​IMG]
    Not really sure about the light since ours have always lived with chickens.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    In my experience, (which isn't much lol), the first year that they start laying they generally will lay at the 5-6 month mark regardless of lighting. The following year, though, I think they slow down much more when the hours of daylight start decreasing. IDK if that made any sense at all. I'm shutting up now [​IMG]

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I know a lot of folks do a staggered flock with chickens for that reason - get a few new every spring so you always have the good, consistent "pullet year" layers. That is what I plan to do. I don't see why ducks would be any different than chickens.

6. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Kind of off topic but do Campbell's make good meat birds as well as layers?

7. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    m.kitchengirl :

I know a lot of folks do a staggered flock with chickens for that reason - get a few new every spring so you always have the good, consistent "pullet year" layers. That is what I plan to do. I don't see why ducks would be any different than chickens.

That would have made sense to me...and maybe I was reading it wrong...but it didn't sound like that's what they meant to me.​

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:If you want a OK layer, and a meat bird go with orpington ducks. They are fantastic layers and good meat birds [​IMG]

9. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If you want a OK layer, and a meat bird go with orpington ducks. They are fantastic layers and good meat birds [​IMG]

Never heard of an orpington duck! I just started researching will have to look them up. Thanks for the info.

10. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    My Khaki Campbells started laying at about 5 months old and have consistently layed an egg everyday since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by