question about Campbells

cottagechick

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I just saw this statement,

"mpbells are prolific layers and active foragers. Most Campbells lay their first eggs when 5-7 months old and will average 250-340 eggs of superb texture and flavor per year. With an age staggered flock, one may have eggs year-round."

On http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/campbell.html

Am
I to take this to mean that if I got a duck say in January and then one in June that one would be laying when the other stopped? Are they not dependent on the season/light like chickens?

I don't know much about them but I do know that I can always count on eggs from them.

and yes it makes sense since I had them in different ages

We only have 1 khaki and she just keeps chugging along, rarely misses a day. temp was only 6* in the coop a couple days ago and still had an egg in there.
smile.png

Not really sure about the light since ours have always lived with chickens.

Last edited:
In my experience, (which isn't much lol), the first year that they start laying they generally will lay at the 5-6 month mark regardless of lighting. The following year, though, I think they slow down much more when the hours of daylight start decreasing. IDK if that made any sense at all. I'm shutting up now
duc.gif

I know a lot of folks do a staggered flock with chickens for that reason - get a few new every spring so you always have the good, consistent "pullet year" layers. That is what I plan to do. I don't see why ducks would be any different than chickens.

m.kitchengirl :

I know a lot of folks do a staggered flock with chickens for that reason - get a few new every spring so you always have the good, consistent "pullet year" layers. That is what I plan to do. I don't see why ducks would be any different than chickens.

That would have made sense to me...and maybe I was reading it wrong...but it didn't sound like that's what they meant to me.​

Quote:
If you want a OK layer, and a meat bird go with orpington ducks. They are fantastic layers and good meat birds
smile.png

Quote:
If you want a OK layer, and a meat bird go with orpington ducks. They are fantastic layers and good meat birds
smile.png

Never heard of an orpington duck! I just started researching will have to look them up. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom