Question about chicken poop!

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Ok so I'm selling my chicken manure to a guy this Friday. But I'm wondering, since I have never seen chicken manure any other way than what is in my yard, what consists of manure? I mean, we have pine shavings, hay and poop all mixed together and decomposing. Is this considered manure? I'm just wondering if this guy is expecting poo only or all the other stuff with it?

Does this make sense? Should I tell him he's getting decomposing hay and pine shavings with the poo? Does it matter?
duc.gif

Thanks!

~CAran

I would make sure that's what he wants. We compost our poo that has shavings and straw mixed in and after it breaks down we put it in the garden. Works great this way, but you may want to make sure that's what the buyer is looking for.

Yeah...if you are selling it you better make sure he is geting what he thinks he is. If you listed it as manure then he probably isn't expecting the hay and shavings. If you listed it as compost then he should expect it to be a mix.

I would let him know that he's getting used chicken coop litter or however you want to describe it. He may be expecting straight chicken manure, like you would get if you scraped it off of poop boards or collected it from underneath a wire cage.

He may be expecting exactly what you have, but I'd let him know ahead of time, just in case. It's still great stuff to compost for the garden.

well he wanted straight poo, so that's a loss for us. I need to go onto my local harvest listing and modify my description. I know someone out there wants compost, so hopefully we can get rid of all the excess litter.

Thanks guys for your feedback. I know I can always count on you for any random chicken questions I have!

~Caran

You could do just like the others said, change your coop to where they are on wire and you can scrape up just plain poo.

My queens would NEVER walk on wire though, might mess up their pedicures.

You may still be able to sell it. You just need the right buyer. Many people want plant material for their compost bins. Yours has chicken poop mixed in, so it's even better.

Your composted poo is better than fresh poo only. I wonder why the buyer wanted straight poo.

Back
Top Bottom