Question about chicken sounds

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
ABE9A98C-B36B-454A-807A-EC0ABB455A45.png I have what I believe to be buff Orpingtons that I received back in the spring. They sound different from my other two hens (barred rock, leghorn). They make noises that I can only describe as sounding like static or growling. I have gotten used to it and it sounds fine to be now but I do wonder about it. Anyone else have orpingtons and notice they sound strange compared to other birds? What is up with their grating voices?

View attachment 1882678 I have what I believe to be buff Orpingtons that I received back in the spring. They sound different from my other two hens (barred rock, leghorn). They make noises that I can only describe as sounding like static or growling. I have gotten used to it and it sounds fine to be now but I do wonder about it. Anyone else have orpingtons and notice they sound strange compared to other birds? What is up with their grating voices?
Can you take video of what you hear? Upload to youtube and provide a link/

I've found that mine do not sound the same, I can generally pick out who's who just by listening.

Can you take video of what you hear? Upload to youtube and provide a link/

I've found that mine do not sound the same, I can generally pick out who's who just by listening.
I’ll try to do that! I’ve had trouble uploading videos of the past....Any tips

My chickens make the growly sound (kinda like a gggrrrrrrrrr) either when they see something scary OR when they’re napping and have their heads tucked under their wings. Momma hens will do it too when the chicks are cuddled under her and taking a nap. Chicks also make the gggrrrrrr sound at scary/unfamiliar things or when settling down for a nap (only in their cheepy chickie voices). UNLESS yours are making a totally different sound than what I’m thinking of, this might be it. Oh, and roos will do it too :).

They sound "normal" to me. I've had BO's and had one that sounded similar. The other one made little honking noises like a goose LOL I can also pick out your BR's little "squirrelly whiny nnnrn sound" very similar to mine. Your BO's are still young, so the voice may change a bit more. They are just talking away:)

They all are lovely btw, I lost my BO's and still miss them. They are sweet birds.

Back
Top Bottom