question about chicken tractors..........

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sweeterdeeter42, Jul 18, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I am thinking about getting rid of all of my chickens but 4 or 6 of them and just building them a large chicken tractor but what do you do with the chickens in the winter when there is snow on the ground?

2. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    concentration camp for chickens unless they can get out and just shelter in it.

3. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Yes, they would much rather get torn apart by the large eagles living in the trees in our yard.

4. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I have one that is a little bit bigger and has 3 nest boxes at the back and a half roof over them. The rest of it is open. In the winter when it got real cold we took some thick plastic and covered the sides and top and left a small part open. This kept the wind/snow out and when it warmed back up we took it off. Now we are in GA where the winter is not as brutal as the north. Not sure where you are but if you are indeed in the north, I don't think that would work well for you too keep them in. ???

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by