Question about chickens and quail

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
A friend of mine is wanting to get chickens her son is wanting to get quail. she ask me if you can put them together in the same pen. I told her I would think that the chickens would mistreat the quail since they are smaller. just wanted to check on here and see what some of you might say.

A friend of mine is wanting to get chickens her son is wanting to get quail. she ask me if you can put them together in the same pen. I told her I would think that the chickens would mistreat the quail since they are smaller. just wanted to check on here and see what some of you might say.
There is an illness quail can get from chickens so they are best kept separate. The good news is that quail don't need a lot of room and are so much fun! You can buy or build a rabbit hutch style pen for the quail. They love dust bathing so if you put a pan of sand in their pen they'll be very happy. Some quail are more friendly than others so that's something to consider.
smile.png

Think of birds on a whole as say the human race; a chicken can share an illness with a finch as a European can share the flu with an American. Just don't practice absentee farming and look for signs of illnesses, etc. as they arise and keep their environment clean and things should be fine. As for housing various birds together it boils down to will they get along; many of my birds kill sparrows and such but have never attacked any wild quail; will you be as lucky? No clue! Try it if you will but be prepared to separate if things fall out.

I think my friend is planning to build her own coop and run. she wants one light weight out of PVP pipe that she can move around for them. what do yall think about that?

"They say" ckickens & quail shouldn't be kept together due to disease but I've been keeping a ground pen of quail inside 1 of my chicken pens for about 6 months cause I'm short on pens & cages right now. When the quail get out during feeding and egg collection the chickens do peck & abuse them.
Quail should be kept in cages anyway because it makes egg and poo management easier. Quail also require a different feed than what chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom