Question about chickens & oil

I'm guessing he paces back and forth along just one side of his coop (either the side with the door, or the side toward the hens.) Maybe you could make that side of something smooth--like glass or plexiglass or even smooth wood--to avoid problems like this in future.

Since you say you're building a bigger coop, you might not want to bother changing the current coop now, but if he's rubbing his feathers while trying to get out, you could have the same problem in the new bigger coop.
Yep you guessed it that's exactly what he does! :gig

we are going to try a different brand of chicken wire in the new coop to see if that works better.

I would make the wall solid so he has no reason to pace back and forth in the first place. Wire is wire, no one kind is better than the other as far as ruining feathers or not.
Yep!
For the new coop we are building the only spot we're doing chicken coop is the front where the door is and little air holes here and their like windows.

You can spray on Afrosheen!!! Can you see in my profile pic, that we're at the National Western Stockshow? We ended up having to bathe our chickens (namely the rooster) only the night before the show (we've NEVER shown before, and did NOT know what we were doing)... I did find only THREE youtube videos--after 10 hours of searching, that showed what to do to bathe your chicken before a show. Anyway, the stages were to bathe in 3 tubs--first one, gentle soap (I used a bit of Dr. Teals Lavender bath soap), then a water rinse, then a vinegar and water soak. Take them out, dry them off with towel, the hairblow dry them (not too hot of air). Once completely dry, we applied coconut oil to all of their fleshy parts (not into their ear holes, but around). and their shanks to toes, and on beak! We also carefully sprayed Afrosheen across their top feathers to tailfeathers. For first timers, we won Best in Variety with the rooster (in my profile pic) and placed 3rd with our other hen. There were 700 birds :) We didn't know that we should have bathed our birds 4 days before the show--regardless, the Afrosheen worked GREAT. As for blood feathers, you can put "styptic" powder on the broken part--and/or baking soda, and YES, you can rub coconut oil on their skin, under feathers--it actually helps kill mites as well as moisturize.

As for video uploads, you could upload your video to YouTube, then share the link in here, by clicking on the Media button, which is next to the "gif" add button in this box.

I'm attaching pics of the rooster at the show, covered in coconut oil and Afrosheen. And an animation of bathing the hen. Chickens LOVE baths, LOVE being hairblown dried, LOVE having coconut oil massaged onto their bodies, and PS, they do NOT poop while you're holding them. It's a mystery side effect of being held!

20200123_171943-ANIMATION.gif
IMG_20200126_142147288.jpg

20200124_102059.jpg
20200123_184238.jpg

Attachments

• 20200124_101919.jpg
    20200124_101919.jpg
    799.3 KB · Views: 4
You can spray on Afrosheen!!! Can you see in my profile pic, that we're at the National Western Stockshow? We ended up having to bathe our chickens (namely the rooster) only the night before the show (we've NEVER shown before, and did NOT know what we were doing)... I did find only THREE youtube videos--after 10 hours of searching, that showed what to do to bathe your chicken before a show. Anyway, the stages were to bathe in 3 tubs--first one, gentle soap (I used a bit of Dr. Teals Lavender bath soap), then a water rinse, then a vinegar and water soak. Take them out, dry them off with towel, the hairblow dry them (not too hot of air). Once completely dry, we applied coconut oil to all of their fleshy parts (not into their ear holes, but around). and their shanks to toes, and on beak! We also carefully sprayed Afrosheen across their top feathers to tailfeathers. For first timers, we won Best in Variety with the rooster (in my profile pic) and placed 3rd with our other hen. There were 700 birds :) We didn't know that we should have bathed our birds 4 days before the show--regardless, the Afrosheen worked GREAT. As for blood feathers, you can put "styptic" powder on the broken part--and/or baking soda, and YES, you can rub coconut oil on their skin, under feathers--it actually helps kill mites as well as moisturize.

As for video uploads, you could upload your video to YouTube, then share the link in here, by clicking on the Media button, which is next to the "gif" add button in this box.

I'm attaching pics of the rooster at the show, covered in coconut oil and Afrosheen. And an animation of bathing the hen. Chickens LOVE baths, LOVE being hairblown dried, LOVE having coconut oil massaged onto their bodies, and PS, they do NOT poop while you're holding them. It's a mystery side effect of being held!

View attachment 2561581View attachment 2561584
View attachment 2561588View attachment 2561590
Thank you for sharing all of your experiences at your fair and congratulations!🎊 I have had many experiences at fairs while showing my birds at my most recent fair my barred rock got reserved best bird of show and my polish hen got best of her class! I normally bathe my birds in a normal soap and water bathe once a month or so to keep mites away and to keep them clean, I use the vinegar dip before I Take them to fairs to make sure there are no mites. Unfortunately my polish rooster ended up getting disqualified because he has side sprig ( extra bumps on his comb).

There a number of shampoos out there for poultry and shampoos that can be used on poultry. I use Orvus and or a poultry shampoo from Carefree Enzymes Inc.
Both work good and will not strip oils from your birds feathers.

Note -- Do Not use Dish soap, it will strip the oil right out of the feathers also don't blow dry your birds it will dry feathers out and can make them brittle.

There a number of shampoos out there for poultry and shampoos that can be used on poultry. I use Orvus and or a poultry shampoo from Carefree Enzymes Inc.
Both work good and will not strip oils from your birds feathers.

Note -- Do Not use Dish soap, it will strip the oil right out of the feathers also don't blow dry your birds it will dry feathers out and can make them brittle.
Oh good to know our advisor has us blow dry them with a special dryer that only uses cold air.

I have done a lot of research about different shampoo and i have found a brand that I like and works well for them.

Back
Top Bottom