Question about chickens & oil

Polish_kid2020

Chirping
Apr 15, 2020
Hi,
I was wondering if you could put coconut oil on chickens to fix their feathers?

I was also wondering if anyone had any methods to fix broken feathers or ones that are splitting.

Fully-grown feathers are lifeless, there is no blood flow in them. Because of that, feathers can't be repaired. Putting coconut oil on the feathers would probably only lead to the feathers becoming sticky and dirty.

You'll have to wait until your chicken starts molting, the new feathers will look fine again. During molt, you can feed your chicken things like nutritional yeast or other things that are high in b vitamins and feed that is a bit higher in protein.

Also, check for parasites regularly to make sure that the chickens' feathers aren't destroyed by lice.

Just DO NOT try this........

images (1).jpeg

I was also wondering if anyone had any methods to fix broken feathers or ones that are splitting.
As already stated, you can't fix broken feathers.

But you should figure out why they have broken/split feathers.
Some pics of said feathers would help here.
Additional info needed:
Number, ages, and genders of birds you have.
Dimensions and pics of coop and run.
What all and how exactly are you feeding.

I am pretty sure pepper my white crested black cockerel broke his feathers by rubbbing them on the chicken wire in his coop.
Yep. Cocks here have busted up tail feathers because I put the roosts too close(12") to the HC walls. Nothing will 'fix' them...and it's really not an issue unless you are showing the birds.

Back
Top Bottom