Question about chickens & oil

I know that we for sure don't give our goats ivermectin regularly because the pests gain immunity and we don't want to lose our herd. We feed our chickens oregano and garlic every month to kill worms and they get lots of access to dirt to ward off the mites

Using pesticides as a preventative can possibly cause resistance.
best to only treat when pests are present and positively ID'd.

Neither of those will do much...and garlic can cause anemia.
We don't give very much garlic just enough to eradicate any internal parasites and the oregano does this as well. For mites we would treat with ivermectin but our chickens don't get mites since they bathe so much and they haven't gotten worms in a long time so I think the garlic and oregano help a lot.

I am pretty sure pepper my white crested black cockerel broke his feathers by rubbbing them on the chicken wire in his coop.

it's only him in his coop because he gets a little aggressive with the hens and because we separate our hens and roosters before shows.

I can send pictures of his feathers and his temporary coop ( he is in this coop until we finish building a bigger coop for him) when I get home.

I'm guessing he paces back and forth along just one side of his coop (either the side with the door, or the side toward the hens.) Maybe you could make that side of something smooth--like glass or plexiglass or even smooth wood--to avoid problems like this in future.

Since you say you're building a bigger coop, you might not want to bother changing the current coop now, but if he's rubbing his feathers while trying to get out, you could have the same problem in the new bigger coop.

I would make the wall solid so he has no reason to pace back and forth in the first place. Wire is wire, no one kind is better than the other as far as ruining feathers or not.
Yep!
For the new coop we are building the only spot we're doing chicken coop is the front where the door is and little air holes here and their like windows.

There a number of shampoos out there for poultry and shampoos that can be used on poultry. I use Orvus and or a poultry shampoo from Carefree Enzymes Inc.
Both work good and will not strip oils from your birds feathers.

Note -- Do Not use Dish soap, it will strip the oil right out of the feathers also don't blow dry your birds it will dry feathers out and can make them brittle.

There a number of shampoos out there for poultry and shampoos that can be used on poultry. I use Orvus and or a poultry shampoo from Carefree Enzymes Inc.
Both work good and will not strip oils from your birds feathers.

Note -- Do Not use Dish soap, it will strip the oil right out of the feathers also don't blow dry your birds it will dry feathers out and can make them brittle.
Oh good to know our advisor has us blow dry them with a special dryer that only uses cold air.

I have done a lot of research about different shampoo and i have found a brand that I like and works well for them.

Back
Top Bottom