Question about chickens & oil

I know that we for sure don't give our goats ivermectin regularly because the pests gain immunity and we don't want to lose our herd. We feed our chickens oregano and garlic every month to kill worms and they get lots of access to dirt to ward off the mites

Wouldn't that just give mites and worms immunity?
Using pesticides as a preventative can possibly cause resistance.
best to only treat when pests are present and positively ID'd.

We feed our chickens oregano and garlic every month to kill worms
Neither of those will do much...and garlic can cause anemia.

Using pesticides as a preventative can possibly cause resistance.
best to only treat when pests are present and positively ID'd.

Neither of those will do much...and garlic can cause anemia.
We don't give very much garlic just enough to eradicate any internal parasites and the oregano does this as well. For mites we would treat with ivermectin but our chickens don't get mites since they bathe so much and they haven't gotten worms in a long time so I think the garlic and oregano help a lot.

Okay
So I probably should have said this first but we started giving our show birds ivermectin once a month in January 2021 because we have a big show coming up around the end of March so we didn't want the birds to have mites.
( the dosage I give them is one drop per bird)

Okay
So I probably should have said this first but we started giving our show birds ivermectin once a month in January 2021 because we have a big show coming up around the end of March so we didn't want the birds to have mites.
( the dosage I give them is one drop per bird)
We didn't want them to have mites because the show we go to disqualifies birds with mites and all other birds you bring.

I am pretty sure pepper my white crested black cockerel broke his feathers by rubbbing them on the chicken wire in his coop.

it's only him in his coop because he gets a little aggressive with the hens and because we separate our hens and roosters before shows.

I can send pictures of his feathers and his temporary coop ( he is in this coop until we finish building a bigger coop for him) when I get home.

I'm guessing he paces back and forth along just one side of his coop (either the side with the door, or the side toward the hens.) Maybe you could make that side of something smooth--like glass or plexiglass or even smooth wood--to avoid problems like this in future.

Since you say you're building a bigger coop, you might not want to bother changing the current coop now, but if he's rubbing his feathers while trying to get out, you could have the same problem in the new bigger coop.

Just DO NOT try this........

images (1).jpeg

Back
Top Bottom