Question about chicks and temps

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
My sister is having her wedding April 12th and since I have the largest house, we’ve chosen to have people come back here afterwards. Only problem is that I have 18 chicks in here. Doesn’t bother me a bit. However perhaps some of our more “primpy” relatives and friends might take offense. So, I planned to move them out into the garage. I’ll have a couple of lights on them and if it all happens like this they will be six weeks old by then. Would they be OK if it happens to get cold. By cold I’m thinking maybe in the teens at night. If they aren’t, to heck with the “primps!” They can stay where they are.
bun.gif

If you have lights on them and they will be 6 weeks old they should be fine. I would probably slowly turn off the lights in the house so they get used to lower temperatures of inside before you move them to the garage.

6 weeks old chicks are not still fully feathered, so they would still need heat. It would be fine to put them in the garage, but they would need a heat lamp, especially at night. Most chicks would need heat especially if the temperature is that low until they are between 8 and 10 weeks of age.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your chicks!

Six week old chicks actually are generally fully-enough-feathered
smile.png

At six weeks the recommended temp in the brooder would be around 65F ..... unless you are still in the dead of winter, most chicks at this age will need little more than a *warm spot* at night.

There is no way a hen could do much than that.

Books don't seem to address this issue clearly. My chicks are only 3 weeks old, but I'm wanting to move them out of the house and into the coop. I should have ordered them later! How tough are these little guys? I rigged a set up with lights out there, but only got it into the 55-60 F range. Trying to decide how much additional protection I need to provide. Thanks.

At 3 weeks they need a heat lamp sufficient to hold 80F

Inside or outside doesn't matter as long as draught-free and warm enough

Back
Top Bottom