Question about Colchester Ct.

HeidiSarah

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Hi There!
I am new to this forum, and have a law/zoning question. I am planning to move to Colchester, CT, and when I do am looking forward to start my little flock of chickens. My question is, are there any laws preventing this in any part of Colchester? I'm very new to this and don't know where to start looking for this information! Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm moving from Long Island. I don't have chickens here, but can't wait to move somewhere that I can start my little farm. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be fine having them in Colchester. It's pretty rural, there are farms in the town, and the house we are looking at is on 7 acres. I want to be sure though. I"ll check out the link you sent.
Heidi

Welcome to the area! A friend of mine lives in Colchester, nice town. What road are you on? If you are away from the center of town off exit 18 and not in a housing subdivision you will not have a problem. I live about 20 minutes away. Mackies is a pretty cool place for poultry supplies.

We go to Mackey's in Columbia (their other location) for our chicken and other pet supplies. I was there today. I'm going to bet that on 7 acres you're going to be fine!

Thanks again for the link. It looks like i'm not going to have a problem keeping either chickens or goats (my other favorite farm animal:) ) in Colchester, as long as the goats are not for commercial use. As for Mackey's, i look forward to browsing there:) Do they have chicks in the spring? Any suggestions for places to get day olds? I don't want to mail order as I only want 5 to start, and I'm interested in at least one or two of those being Americaunas (sp?). But anyway, I'm getting off topic. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
They used to have chicks in spring in Columbia but they stopped a few years ago. I don't know about the Colchester location. Tractor Supply in Griswold supposedly had some last spring but they didn't come when they said they were going to come and I ended up missing them altogether when they did come! Salem Feed and Grain has chicks in the spring too.

hmmm, sounds promising:) I will let you know when things are more set in stone for me. (the 7acres house was rented to someone else:( )

Quote:
Hmmm, tempted to get a few silkie girls.....
Rats, just checked and they only sell silkies as straight run. Oh well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom