question about comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ButtersMama, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Hello all...newish chicken keeper here. My chickens are approx 24 weeks now. They are all doing very well and laying. They are all happy and get lots of attention and love. I have a question. One of the five I have is a White Tetra or Leghorn. She has a larger comb than the other chickens and it is folded over to one side it is so big. Is this normal for some chickens? She seems fine and healthy.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:that is perfectly normal and expected for Leghorns and most Leghorn xs.

3. Leghorns all have enormous combs. Even females. They are a very old breed from the waste-not-want-not country of italy. When my great grandpa was growing up there he used to eat fried leghorn combs because, well, he had nothing else! I guess thats a possible origin of the floppy leghorn comb; even on hens.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    When I was a kid I had a pet chicken. She was some sort of cornish or game hen and she had a MONSTER comb. It totally flopped over to one side so that she could only see out of one eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by