Question about community nest boxes.

finnleyjo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
I was reading up on community nest boxes a few weeks ago, and I really like the idea. Most of the designs I have seen have the opening in the middle of the nest box that is maybe 3 or 4 feet long.

When we built our coop we made it so one half it the coop and the other half is a shed. I was thinking of building it so the actual nest box (2ft x4ft) was in the shed (if that makes sense). The most space saving way to do that would be to have it so that the opening into the nest box would be on one of the ends, rather than in the middle. Will this be a problem? Or will my girlies end up getting upset and walking all over each other.

BTW, I have 8 chickens, RIR, Buff Orps, and Barred Rocks if that makes any difference.

What would worry me is they would walk on the eggs, and could break them, leading to a flock of egg eaters.

I'm going to try a community nest, too. I was not planning on putting anything on the front.

Its been done that way, the openings on the end. That was how most of the older desings Ive seen have the entrances. It's where I'd put them - one on each end. You also want to ensure adequate ventilation and clear access for cleaning.

The way I get it , hens are more careful when moving around in a dark, community nest, leading to reduced breakage. Too, they dont eat what they cant see, so a dark communal nest tends to actually reduce egg eating.

It is, in fact, one of the old fashoined remedies for the habit.

Last edited:
Sorry, yes, a lip to hold bedding, like a 1x4. I have seen pics of community nest boxes where the whole front was covered except for one hen sized hole in the middle, which is what I was thinking of when I said nothing on the front. I might do a roost just outside the nest, too, if it is raised much off the floor.

Very interesting, Davaroo.

We can still learn plenty from "the old folks," I think. Well, I'm an old folk, just not an old folk at chickens....

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to put an opening on each end, because the far end wouldn't be up against the chicken coop. The way I'm wanting to do it would basically be putting a 2ft x 4ft nest box with one of the 2ft sides up against the chicken coop. The nest box would be inside the shed part, but only one 2ft side of the box would be up against the coop...does that make sense?

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to put an opening on each end, because the far end wouldn't be up against the chicken coop. The way I'm wanting to do it would basically be putting a 2ft x 4ft nest box with one of the 2ft sides up against the chicken coop. The nest box would be inside the shed part, but only one 2ft side of the box would be up against the coop...does that make sense?

The narrow side, sure. There's one way to find out...

Quote:
No doubt about it. Many things were working, long before we came along. TO be fair, there was some pure bunkola from the olden days, just as now. But generally, they knew what worked.

It pays to look into such things.

Last edited:
Finnleyjo, I hope you will try this. You could vent the shed end of the nest box easily enough, for the air, and shade it if need be. Let us know how it works out if you do!

Back
Top Bottom