Question about coon behavior/abilities

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
I had a pretty secure coop/run, but several weeks ago a coon got into the run (probably from a loose area of netting on top of the run) and killed several hens. We've made fortifications and I do border patrol alot more often. I continue to see signs of a coon being around. We've cut branches overhanging the run, added welded utility wire to the top of the run (in addition to the 2 layers of different netting), added more screws to the wood holding the hardware cloth over the windows, etc.

This morning, I can see coon poop on the roof of the coop. (its about 10' high). Nothing else was bothered. I'm thinking it tried to get in the run again, but couldn't. (Although the chickens are locked in the coop at night).

So here are my questions: In trying to figure out how its getting up to the roof, I'm asking: can they climb 4x4 posts that are about 6' high (holding tarps over the coop front porch structure)? Will they climb a tree and jump a distance to get onto the coop roof, even if they don't know how they're going to get down? I have the feeling the answer is "all of the above"!
What might I do to make the 4x4 cedar posts (holding up the coop porch overhang) less climbable? I was thinking of lining it with hardware cloth, but they don't seem to mind that.
The 4x4 cedar posts that are holding up the sides of the run are covered in hardware cloth, and I can't tell if they climb those, but I have seen scratches on the bare 4x4's.
I've even been thinking of making some sort of thin spiked thing to lay in the gutters, so they won't climb over those to get to the roof.

For us, the problem with an electric fence is that the irregular shape of the coop/run/porch/etc. doesn't lend itself to always having a fence there.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Coons can climb 4x4 posts, & putting hardware cloth on them would make it easier.

You could try covering them with galvanized sheet metal like they use for duct work. I did this around an old tv tower 5 ft high, hoping to keep them off the roof & outa my attic.

The coons decided they would just climb straight up the outside brick wall instead. They are smart and determined little fur balls, but I find my shotgun really slows them down & keeps them outa mischief around here.

Last edited:
Take one problem; food in a secure box, 1 human and 1 coon. Which will get in first? Put your money on the coon. It takes a coon about 10 seconds to figure out how to open the child proof locks that we put on the cabinet doors to keep children out of danger. Most latches we put on our coop doors are a joke. Any predator that really wants in your coop, will get in.

Quote:
I agree 100%
big_smile.png
that and trapping are the only full methods that i know of to control them!

Removed the coons, trap. Hot wire, seen coons pull wire out of post. With enought time coons can find away in. Hot wire (electric fence) best way to keep them out. I get rid of the coons, if they stay around sooner or later they will get something, even thru the wire.

I spent a LOT of money on coop/run reinforcements and traps, but was still losing birds to the dang coons. But since I've installed hotwire around the bottom and top of the run, I haven't had a problem (knock on wood!). The whole setup was less than $100, and now I don't have to lock and unlock the coop; my birds come and go as they please.

To keep the birds (and me) from getting shocked during the day, we installed a photoelectric cell... the kind you use with Christmas lights... to turn off the fence at dawn and turn it back on at night.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

"To keep the birds (and me) from getting shocked during the day, we installed a photoelectric cell... the kind you use with Christmas lights... to turn off the fence at dawn and turn it back on at night."

Now there's one I wouldn't have thought of. Great idea!

>>can they climb 4x4 posts that are about 6' high <<

ABSOLUTELY! Sheet metal around the posts, as someone else mentioned, will work.

I put sheet metal around all the trees near my run too so they cannot climb them. Still one did find a way to get on top of the chicken house....couldn't get in, but still makes me wonder.
idunno.gif

Hmmmm....

Seems I've read this story somewhere before. Now, where was that....

big_smile.png

Glad ya found your way to the other BYC forum. Busy, ain't it? I knew you would get some good suggestions.

See ya at the usual place!

--Buster

Back
Top Bottom