Question about cracked egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 13, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I received 8 duck and 2 goose eggs today. The P.O. was not so nice to them. One duck egg had the whole small end pushed in. [​IMG] One goose egg has a bump type crack on the side of it. Another duck egg has a crack that I couldn't see till I candled it. I can't even feel this crack with my fingernail.

Other than wax (which I don't have), is there anything I can use to seal it with? Or could I just set it like it is? The crack is on the side of the shell, and it's about an inch long. But like I said, I can't feel it if I scratch it with my fingernail.

Could I do anything to save the one goose egg? The bump crack (like a divet) is also on the side.

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I use Elmer's glue myself rather than wax. Can't hurt to give them a chance, but do keep an eye on them.
    db

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I use a piece of tape.

Next time ask the shipper to wrap each egg in large-bubble bubble wrap, ends open, and place them directly in the box. I've had great success shipping them that way, with many shipments having no damaged eggs at all.

Kathy in Texas

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This is the second time I have gotten eggs from this person, and the other time they were all fine upon arrival. I think the P.O. is just fed up with packages this time of year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by