1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Day 8 of incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BasicallyHeather, Oct 25, 2011.

1. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I am currently trying my hand at incubating for the first time ever! I chose three eggs from my white bantam cochin/leghorn x hen (her mate is the same). I have candled every few days or so, and things seem to be right on target except for one egg. In two I can see the tiny embryo moving about, but I don't see an embryo in the third. I do see one large blood vessel that looks just like a ring around the entire width of the egg, and a few tiny branches off of it, and I can see the blood pulsating and moving through the vessels. The vessels in the other eggs are more random and scattered; in this one it looks like someone just drew a circle around the egg with a Sharpy (FYI I am using a LG still air with turner).

I guess my question is, is there an embryo in there and I just can't see it yet? Admittedly, my flashlight isn't the greatest, but I would think that after this long, I should be seeing an embryo. I have read the candling sticky a million times, but it's not really a help for my specific question.

When should I give up on this egg, or should I leave it for a while? Thanks!

2. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Its hard to say. My guess is a quitter BUT chicks can be tricky! I would leave it (if it doesnt stink or weep) till day 10 or 14.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    sounds like one that i have that i am considering it as an egg with a blood ring but i am not tossing it just yet i am waiting to at least day 10

4. curious1969

curious1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Northwest Montana
    I have had a couple that looked like they had bloodrings and then they ended up hatching. I would wait until you can absolutely tell before tossing the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by