Question about dominant white

Fallenone05

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2015
SE Oklahoma
Hi! So, I got a new chicken today. The people I purchased her from knows she's mixed, but they're not 100% sure what she's mixed with. She has a rose comb but she's solid white. The folks I got her from said they have Wyandottes, Leghorns, Delawares an Australorp and a few other breeds. Everyone just kind of intermingled, so lots of mixed breed chicks. I was wondering if this bird could be a Leghorn x Wyandotte mix. With leghorns being dominant white, her being just a white bird makes sense. She got a little poopy during transport, so ignore the gross smear of literal crap on her chest :lol: Are rose combs dominant over straight combs?

I've been using the chicken calculator and trying to figure out what mixes I'm doing to end up with in the future.

IMG_20210703_145614.jpg

could she also just be a white leghorn with a rosecomb? I'm *very* unfamiliar with Leghorns and have no idea about what's typical for body shape among the breeds or any other defining features, other than their shanks are usually yellow? My idea of a Leghorn is just a gangly little white bird with a big floppy comb.

Rose comb is dominate over single comb.
There are rose comb leghorns but she's not pure leghorn.
Wyandotte X leghorn does make sense.

Can I ask if it's her body shape that makes you think she's not full leghorn? Genuinely curious, since like I mentioned above, Im not familiar with Leghorns at all.

Yep! I suspect the Wyandotte would be the father. That way, any potential leakage would be silver.

Can I ask if it's her body shape that makes you think she's not full leghorn? Genuinely curious, since like I mentioned above, Im not familiar with Leghorns at all.
Yes, but Leghorns also have white earlobes. Rose comb white Leghorns are also pretty rare. But her type also doesn’t resemble a Leghorn at all. She is too fluffy with too short of a tail. She is too deep in body (but that is probably just excess fluff to be honest.) She appears to be white legged, which isn’t a trait of Leghorns or Wyandottes, but my yellow legged birds heavily in production also have white legs.

Yep! I suspect the Wyandotte would be the father. That way, any potential leakage would be silver.

Yes, but Leghorns also have white earlobes. Rose comb white Leghorns are also pretty rare. But her type also doesn’t resemble a Leghorn at all. She is too fluffy with too short of a tail. She is too deep in body (but that is probably just excess fluff to be honest.) She appears to be white legged, which isn’t a trait of Leghorns or Wyandottes, but my yellow legged birds heavily in production also have white legs.

Today when I was able to look at her in the shade, she has small flecks of black in her neck feathers and some in her wings. Definitely not a lot and they're super small flecks. Her feet are a very pale yellow and then turn pink around where her toes start. She isn't laying yet, I don't think. She's around the size of my 4-month-old Sapphire Gems. Like I know their combs shrink up when they're not laying during molt, but hers just looks small and like it's never been developed before.

After looking up Leghorns, she definitely looks deep in the body and breast area. Tail doesn't fan like Leghorns do either.

Back
Top Bottom