Question about downloading.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ec_Prokta, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Is it illegal here in the USA to download songs from a source other than the one you have to pay for?

2. MoSo

MoSo In the Wild Plum Yonder

Yes and no. Some bands have websites set up and allow you to download songs. However, the peer-to-peer sites (torrent sites), where you can download music, movies, TV, manga... those are violation of copyright and illegal.

3. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Ok, thanks.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I typically buy itunes gift cards and just buy my music from there. It's the safest way really and the songs are about a dollar each. Those free DL sites can give your computer viruses very easily! Also, if you get caught, it's a pretty big deal. Doesn't happen often, but it's worth remembering.

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

My brother is an intellectual property attorney (patents and copyrights), and has gone after these sites before. While they're more likely to target the site owners, you are techinically stealing the artists' property, and can be prosecuted/sued.

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I buy from Walmart Music Downloads. It's usually only 88 cents a song, some are $1.24. Not too bad. And easy to download & burn to CD. I want to find out how to make a DVD of my fave YouTube videos. Even if I have to buy them. [​IMG]

7. JetBlack

JetBlack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Metallica will climb right up your bottom. iTunes is guilt free.

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    playlist.com
    grooveshark.com

They struck up an agreement with record companies...

Pandora.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by