Question about Dubbing - Is it a Cornish?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bleenie, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I posted in the "what breed/gender" section about a mystery hen my mom has. turns out she's probably a cornish of sorts and someone said she looks like she may have been dubbed & had her beak clipped. We have had her since she was about 2-3months old so I am wondering if the dubbing & clipping is something they can do to them as hatchlings?

They were raised by a 12yr old girl that was selling them to make money to help pay for something she wanted & they thought this girl was a Bantam Japanese like the white rooster we also bought from them. I am sure they were not the ones to dub/clip her so what the heck?

She has almost no comb and NO waddles and she is almost of laying age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    Dubbing I am unsure, but I know de-beaking happens as a chick. Hope you find the answers to your other questions! [​IMG]

3. Munkeesmama

Munkeesmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    California
    I don't know, but I have a bird here that i hatched myself that is almost at laying age, she has wattles but has almost no comb like yours.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I don't think it looks like anything has been done to her. From the pics she looks like a cornish or CX. IF she is ready to lay and you are holding her in your hand like that then she's probably not what we usually call a CX. How about a pic of her standing up?

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here is a picture of her standing up. She is small, the people we got her from only had bantam-sized chickens for sale so i don't think she'll get a whole lot bigger. We have had her for at least 3 months and she was at least 2 months when we bought her, she was fully feathered in.

[​IMG]

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    She is a bantam cornish, her beak looks okay to me, I don't think it's been cut.

7. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    I agree with nothing being done to the beak...the second pic can make you wonder, but the first one you get to see it taper. I'd believe if debeaked, it would have a more abrupt "nub" than a tapered look.

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

do you guys think it's a Hen?

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am pretty sure it's a hen, but I am better at telling when I've owned the breed in question and I've never had a cornish.

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    yep, bantam cornish hen, ready to lay, has had no obvious alterations. Coool looking bird!!! you can start a line of mini meaties!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by