1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sasc, Apr 22, 2017.

1. sasc

sasc New Egg

Apr 22, 2017
    My husband surprised me with 2 ducks. Both are 4 weeks old and are starting to get their fathers. We got a pin for them with a mini kiddie pool. A insulated house etc. One duck is loud hates being alone. The other died today found in the pool I'm not sure what happened. They have a way to get in and out of the pool and everything. We buried the sweet duck today. I didn't see any any bite marks or anything but now the other duck is freaking out louder then it was before and can't leave our side. Can ducks have anxiety or abandonment issues? Any idea why the first duck died if they were healthy last night?
    Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @sasc at 4 weeks they still may need some warmth from a heat lamp if your temps are still cool. And yes sad to say ducklings can drown in pool water. Other than maybe it got hypothermia from the cold water there really isn't anyway of knowing besides a necropsy.

I am very sorry for your loss. I would get your lil female duckling a buddy or 2 very soon they can grieve just like us and don't do well alone. I say female duckling because you are saying it is loud.

In the mean time take out the pool unless you can supervise and give the duckling a stuffed animal and a mirror with safe edges it may help. But please don't leave the lil one all alone inside it's pen and house alone.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by