Question about Egg weight

jdoz

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Hi all just a question about egg weight. I am new to raising quail and this is my first attempt at incubation. I weight a few eggs on monday and tuesday and i notced that a few have loss a .01 ounce in weight. Just curious does this mean the egg is dying or is not humid enough. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Your eggs are supposed to lose some weight during the incubation process. Chicken eggs need to lose about 13%. Too heavy means it was too humid and your chicks may drown, too light means it wasn't humid enough, and your chicks may shrink wrap (the inner membrane dries out and they can't pip through it).
I don't know what the guideline is for quail, but I'm pretty sure they're supposed to lose a bit of weight too. Maybe a quail expert will pop in with a more exact answer.

Hi all just a question about egg weight. I am new to raising quail and this is my first attempt at incubation. I weight a few eggs on monday and tuesday and i notced that a few have loss a .01 ounce in weight. Just curious does this mean the egg is dying or is not humid enough. Any Help is greatly appreciated.
I would post this on the quail thread for a more experienced answer.

Back
Top Bottom