Question about eggs, but not hatching or eating

equine623

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
NE PA
Hi - I am new and not sure where to post this
My daughter, almost 4, goes to preschool and recently shocked the class. Why, you ask? Because she was the only one who knew that chickens lay eggs. Seriously. None of the other kids could answer the question "where do eggs come from"
So the teachers are thinking maybe it is time for a farm animal section to give these kids a little real world education. Like that eggs and milk don't really come from a carton at the walmart.
We currently have 4 lovely hens who lay beautiful brown eggs, sometimes freckled and in slightly different shades. I also have access to a bantam who has started laying. My hope was to try to get in contact with people who have some other fun eggs so that the kids could see the variety of colors and sizes that can all be laid by the same type of animal.
I would be happy to pay for the eggs of course, and if you like locally (anywhere from Bergen County, NJ west to Monroe County PA and south towards Allentown and Bethlehem) I would be able to pick them up.
Maybe I'm just trying to be too much of an overachiever mom here...but how can a kid not know where eggs come from!?!
Sorry if this is not the right place to post this...I wasn't sure where to put it! And I'm am good at rambling
smile.png
so I figured I would fit right in here.
Sorry this is long - thanks anyone who reads it!!
Jill

ep.gif
ep.gif

I still have my picture books that have cows and chickens and corn, and on the same page are the things that go with it, milk, cheese, butter, eggs, corn on the cob. Then the happy farmer... You know, the book that doesn't have sentences, only big block words. COW HEN FARM

It's so sad. Most ADULTS don't know why egg shells can be different colors.

Thats true! Most adults don't know why or even that eggs can come in different colors.

A friend of mine, a doctoral canidate in renaissance literature, freaked out when she saw my green and blue EE eggs. We found them under a horse trailer on my place. She assumed they had gone bad!!
lol.png

That's wonderful! I hope you can find them
smile.png
Hey--I've lived in the country all my life and didn't know eggs came in more than 2 colors! There's so very little exposure in this country to more than 1 or 2 types of each food (like black tomatoes, purple carrots, green cauliflower).

OK...so I'm not totally crazy thinking these kids need the chance to see eggs come in different shapes, sizes and colors then? Good...although I'm probably still crazy for plenty of other reasons
wink.png

I know this is such a busy forum in general - any advice on a better place to post my request? Do I just start contacting people directly if I see they live sort of close by or is that just way too rude??

Thanks for all the welcomes (And Debi I'm keeping you and your mom in my prayers)

Jill

You might try posting in BST section, There are quite a few members in your area, I would think they would give you a egg or two of different color after explaning its for the school. You may want to Blow them out, and let the school keep them as a training aid.

And no the lack of knowledge for most kids does not surprise me, most adults dont know where thier foods come from other than the grocery store. They say Ignorance is Bliss and there are a lot of Blissful people out there.

Totally off topic here, but the other day we were getting groceries and my DD (4) got all excited. She had seen a carton of brown eggs and said, "Mom! This store has chickens!!"
lol.png

To answer your question, yes I think you are right - we have gotten too far from our food! They should know where it comes from.

Back
Top Bottom